Starting a private practice in South Florida- difficulty getting on to insurance plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamifeat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's very difficult to start a private practice in South Florida in part due to it being difficult to get on to insurance plans. Aside from it being difficult to get on to insurance, I've heard collections are also very low. Anyone have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

A large desirable city will always be hard to get on insurance plans. You might be able to join an IPA and get on plans that way, otherwise you might have to practice far outside the city to get on plane unless you just want to do Medi/Medi.

I would assume speaking Spanish would help also in certain markets. Starting a practice in about the farthest, youngest suburb possible with good projections for future growth would give you a better chance for success……I would still anticipate competition from other established podiatry groups even if they are not there yet.

Florida has a school, good scope and lots of podiatrists per capita, but also lots of growth. Associate pay seems a bit low there. So mixed pros/cons. It seems like there are some podiatriste doing very, very well and some that are not in Florida……which is pretty typical with podiatry. Lots of areas of in South Florida will have lots of seasonal snow birds also which has it own pros/cons.

If collections are low I would assume it is due to competition and lots of senior citizens on HMO Medicare. Unfortunately HMO Medicare plans are becoming more common in much of the country.

Reactions: 1 user
Any metro will be dog eat dog... doubly so in a pod school city or one with many residencies pumping out DPMs. The capped insurance plans will be a thing. Non-competes are serious biz.

You can compete anywhere if you want to, but it's definitely easier in some places than others. Miami = HCOL and very saturated for DPMs. The pod school has been there for decades, and there are probably ~10 residencies in that area. A few of my former classmates are down there doing fair (solo or employed)... the ones who went away to somewhat greener pastures are usually faring better... the ones who went away to more blue ocean areas are doing best.

Reactions: 2 users