Starting Biochem and Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techguru2323

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any “must have” resources for the classes. I will obviously use my coursepack as my main study tool however, I am sure they will gloss over some concepts and focus on minutia at times. By “must have” I mean was there a resource that enhanced your understanding to a significant degree

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Zanki deck + boards and beyond has done wonders for me on keeping the details of pathways straight.

Maybe look into finding a Lippincott Biochemistry PDF and the Q&A if your heart desires, but the flashcards and B&B have been plenty enough for me. A lot of people also enjoy the BRS Physiology book.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any “must have” resources for the classes. I will obviously use my coursepack as my main study tool however, I am sure they will gloss over some concepts and focus on minutia at times. By “must have” I mean was there a resource that enhanced your understanding to a significant degree

I always just used Google to look things up. I was almost always able to find a review paper on NCBI that covered whatever topic.

I relied super heavily on class notes. Made sure to know all the pathways but also why each step was important.
That was usually enough, but for practice ?s I did use BRS or Lippincott's.

Don’t buy textbooks, I’m currently a first year, people told me not to and so I rented some of the textbooks. Waste of money don’t do it.

Personally having a harder time as I start the same two courses conceptualizing how to use Anki here. I guess just for facts? It's probably just that straightforward but I've only used Anki for anatomy and image occluding doesn't apply here.

boards and beyond biochem lectures are very, very good. It's really all i needed for my exams. My professor doesn't ask too much minutia though, yours might.

Personally having a harder time as I start the same two courses conceptualizing how to use Anki here. I guess just for facts? It's probably just that straightforward but I've only used Anki for anatomy and image occluding doesn't apply here.
Biochem is straight forward, anki everything. Physio not so straight forward and I am struggling with how to adapt as well. I have started watching najeeb for physio. Not sure how to convert it into something anki-able. @Gurby have any suggestions for anki-ing physio?

Reactions: 1 users
Biochem is straight forward, anki everything. Physio not so straight forward and I am struggling with how to adapt as well. I have started watching najeeb for physio. Not sure how to convert it into something anki-able. @Gurby have any suggestions for anki-ing physio?

I definitely make less extensive flash cards for physiology classes... I made ~2500 cards for our first term of anatomy, and a total of only ~600 cards for cardio and respiratory physiology combined. Sometimes I like to put practice questions (with trivial math) onto cards... I think the most important thing is to have a deep understanding and do practice questions - rote memorization helps but doesn't get you too far in those classes.

Reactions: 1 users
It sort of feels like the consensus is that studying biochem with school resources (and light step supplement) is fine. As opposed to get "every resources in place" for physio since it's such a high yield for step/groundwork for pathophys