Feeling kinda old for starting residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScruffyMouse

Reaction score
By the time June rolls around, I'll be just turned 33. Going into IM and probably will do fellowship.

One of my worst memories was being an M4 on an elective and the EM ATTENDING was 3-4 years younger than me. I felt like such a loser then. She was very kind and told me to go home as soon as I got there. xD

What's the average age of interns these days?

Also, what's the age at which fellow residents start wondering "I wonder what their story is"?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've just got to get over it, friend.

I'm 41 and starting residency in July. It's not because I'm a loser. It's because I had a whole previous career and then turned to medicine later. And you already know that being a medical student in your 30s was an advantage. We all take a different path to get here.

Yes, sometimes it sucks to be older than your attendings. Certainly my meanest resident during my clerkships was a burned out 26 year old who had never taken a break in her life and who didn't have the slightest clue how to manage a learner.

But honestly, what are you going to do about it? You can feel self-conscious and worry about what other people are thinking or you can own your story and your career goals and get on with it. That extra noise on your head is not going to help you during residency.

You know what your fellow residents will be thinking? 1. Almost 100% about themselves and how to navigate their own insecurities. 2. That whatever it is that you were doing instead of going straight to medicine is pretty cool and they wish they had taken some time to do other things.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
You are only 5 years older than the average resident. you are fine. 40 is when everything starts going downhill for men so....

Last edited:
You are only 5 years older than the average residence. you are fine. 40 is when everything starts going downhill for men so....
Downhill? Should have told that to Biden, Trump...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you are probably thinking about it more than anyone else is. I became an attending in my late 20s, had plenty of med school and residency classmates with 10+ years on me and never thought twice about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly the difference between your late 20s and early 30s are pretty moot.

I had a coresident in their 50s. Watching him do nights and icu call was... something.

FWIW I love talking with non-traditional students (multiple gap years) since the trads often have no personality.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You are only 5 years older than the average resident. you are fine. 40 is when everything starts going downhill for men so....
Not really sure why you brought this up when OP didn't even nearly allude to sex. However, a 40+ single man who is a physician is extremely desirable.

By the time June rolls around, I'll be just turned 33. Going into IM and probably will do fellowship.

One of my worst memories was being an M4 on an elective and the EM ATTENDING was 3-4 years younger than me. I felt like such a loser then. She was very kind and told me to go home as soon as I got there. xD

Also, what's the age at which fellow residents start wondering "I wonder what their story is"?
I did residency and fellowship in my 30s. Honestly, what made it bearable was being in a program with other older people, so when you interview, try to find a place other people your age are also doing residency

We're the same age, so I'm curious what exactly about your age is getting you down?

Is it just how you feel compared to your peers? Gonna have to get over it. Your career isn't defined by your age, especially when you aren't even that much older. As you get older more and more of your peers will be younger than you, and some may be working above you depending on what you do. That's just the way it goes.

Is it fear of physical decline? It doesn't have to be. Eat healthy, workout, and move often. I feel better now than I did in my mid 20s and I know plenty of 40+ year-olds who can outpace the vast majority of mid-20s IM residents haha

Bonus - If it makes you feel better, my friend is applying NSGY and they're turning 34 before residency starts. They currently plan to do fellowship as well. I have another friend who is a PGY1 gen surg, they'll be 38 in a couple months.

Last edited:
I've had multiple residents who are older than me, one of whom was my senior by nearly 20 years. I don't even notice anymore, and they don't either (or at least they don't let on that it bothers them). You'll do great, don't worry. In our program average age is 30 with a bimodal distribution - we are about half traditionals and half non trads who are all mid 30's, some early 40's.

I became a teaching attending at 29, I'm 34 now.

Reactions: 1 user
Wear your age like a badge of honor that is not given to everyone. We have lived and we have learned. Enjoy it!

I heard something good on the radio along these lines:

“You are going to be 36, do you want to be a doctor? You are going to be 36 either way.”
Came to say something like this as well. I'm starting M1 this August at 31. In 4 years, I'm going to be 35 regardless of what I do. Do I want to be a 35-year-old medical school graduate or a 35-year-old something else? Because that age train doesn't stop.

Secondly, age at various milestones doesn't matter. I know as a late 30's resident I will have plenty of attendings and co-residents younger than I. Those attendings and co-residents don't have a decade of life experience in the military, while I don't have experience in medicine. We can both learn from each other. Them being younger than me doesn't make me less successful than them, it just means we travelled different paths.

and as far as "Also, what's the age at which fellow residents start wondering "I wonder what their story is"?" from the OP:
-I don't know, but I hope it's whatever age I am. I love talking about my story and all the mistakes i've made and learned from. That's part of the point of diversity, to learn about each other and see things from each others shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

My oldest student ever was ~53 when he started med school.

He's still in practice as a clinician, which would put him past 70 years of age.

if he can do it, you can do it.

Reactions: 3 users

You’re going to be 40 one day regardless. Wouldn’t you rather be 40 and exactly what you want to be than 40 and wishing you hadn’t settled?

^ advice I received. I’m a current student behind you on the pathway and also an older student. Although, I do recognize everyone’s situation is different.

Last edited:

I understand how you feel. I just turned 31 and I’ll be starting residency as a 33 year old. When I focus on that it feels rough emotionally cause I don’t have a family of my own and I had some obstacles that prevented me from getting into med school straight out of college as planned. Feels like a gut punch when I think about it too much or compare myself to classmates my age that have at least gotten married and started their own families already before med school or much younger classmates that seem to have the world at their feet by starting residency in their 20s. Comparison is a thief of joy though and it doesn’t make sense to dwell on things you can’t change. Everyone’s path is their own. Find some solace in that. While you may not be where you expected to be at this point in life you’re still moving forward and accomplishing goals you set for yourself. It’s important to remember that.

Being older isn't always a disadvantage--maturity can help you keep perspective, work well with others, and recognize your limitations. You won't spend your residency years whining about not being able to party as much as you'd like.

• Love