starting Bryn Mawr in fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barasch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting Bryn Mawr's postbac this fall and will finish in spring (having already done some coursework at the state university).

I'm interested in doing a linkage program - particularly to University of Pittsburgh (mostly because my wife has some family there). Any postbacs out there available to comment on linkage programs that they're doing, whey they're doing linkage with that school, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Barasch,
I can't help with information about linkage programs, but I've just applied to Bryn Mawr as well and hope to hear from them soon regarding the fall. I'm applying to several programs, but Bryn Mawr is my first choice...though I'm something of a longshot. If you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply? Thanks for any info you want to share. bpgil

barasch said:
I'm starting Bryn Mawr's postbac this fall and will finish in spring (having already done some coursework at the state university).

I'm interested in doing a linkage program - particularly to University of Pittsburgh (mostly because my wife has some family there). Any postbacs out there available to comment on linkage programs that they're doing, whey they're doing linkage with that school, etc.

bpgil said:
Hi Barasch,
I can't help with information about linkage programs, but I've just applied to Bryn Mawr as well and hope to hear from them soon regarding the fall. I'm applying to several programs, but Bryn Mawr is my first choice...though I'm something of a longshot. If you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply? Thanks for any info you want to share. bpgil

Bpgil,

I didn't apply to any other programs. I've got a family (wife and 18 month old daughter) and am 30 years old, so if I didn't get into Bryn Mawr, I would have continued working in my current field and studying at the state univeristy part time.

When Spring semester came around, I got into Bryn Mawr, but all the organic chemistry sections at the university here in Madison were full.

I looked into the postbac program at Loyola, but they didn't seem to have their act together as well as the Bryn Mawr folks. It took them a long time to reply to me, they seemed to get confused, it was a two year - part time program, etc, etc.

Finally, doing Loyolla would have given me none of the benefits of either doing things on my own at the university in Madison, or giving up my career and doing Bryn Mawr. To do Loyolla (in Chicago) I would have had to give up my career without the silver bullet success of the Bryn Mawr program.

My wife and I decided to take the plunge and we're selling our home and moving to Philly in August.

A lot of others on this board have talked about Goucher - it seems to be a well regarded program - are you applying there?

Good luck.

bryn mawr eh?
I went down the road to Villanova
really a great area!

Enjoy the Main Line!