Starting in Jan., Tulane vs. BU vs. UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikamoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been accepted to Tulane and Boston University, both in international health, and UAB, in international maternal/child health. I'll be starting in January, so I don't have too much time to make a decision. I've read here and there that Tulane is really strong in international health (possibly top 3 or so along with JHU and Harvard?), and was wondering if anyone here could vouch for that? Most of the places I've read that have been a little old, so I wanted to make sure I had current information. I'm also interested in policy and health law, human rights issues (pondering law school after MPH actually), and BU has an interesting department in that. BU offered me a merit scholarship, which I was really pumped about until I realized the money they were offering would only bring their tuition to about the price of Tulane's ($28,000/year!). I'm an Alabama resident so UAB's tuition is a fraction of what the other two are, and it's a good program although maybe a little less internationally focused (they don't have a dedicated international department). Since I'm thinking about possibly going on for three more years of expensive schooling after the MPH, I'm a little afraid of going too far in debt right now - any thoughts about BU or Tulane's IH department? Thanks! It's been helpful reading through the discussions here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I've been accepted to Tulane and Boston University, both in international health, and UAB, in international maternal/child health. I'll be starting in January, so I don't have too much time to make a decision. I've read here and there that Tulane is really strong in international health (possibly top 3 or so along with JHU and Harvard?), and was wondering if anyone here could vouch for that? Most of the places I've read that have been a little old, so I wanted to make sure I had current information. I'm also interested in policy and health law, human rights issues (pondering law school after MPH actually), and BU has an interesting department in that. BU offered me a merit scholarship, which I was really pumped about until I realized the money they were offering would only bring their tuition to about the price of Tulane's ($28,000/year!). I'm an Alabama resident so UAB's tuition is a fraction of what the other two are, and it's a good program although maybe a little less internationally focused (they don't have a dedicated international department). Since I'm thinking about possibly going on for three more years of expensive schooling after the MPH, I'm a little afraid of going too far in debt right now - any thoughts about BU or Tulane's IH department? Thanks! It's been helpful reading through the discussions here :)

I have no insight into BU or Tulanes department. FYI, I had gotten into Tulane last year and I visited it, if you have not, I think you should. For me, the campus would've definitely NOT been conducive to my learning..=P (side note) Anyways, I know globally, UAB has the Sparkman Center for Global Health which does give students a chance to go overseas in the summertime i think..I had considered UAB for that alone, b/c it seems like a great center they have.

I actually had to choose between Boston and Tulane for Fall 2007. I went to undergrad in Boston and it's a great city with a surprising amount of international agency internship opportunity, and so I wanted to stay. But I'm an international student and everyone in public health and international development at home that I spoke to said to definitely go to Tulane because it's really really well regarded globally in international health.

I'm at Tulane now and I'm really happy with my program. I'm in the Global Maternal and Child health program which is like a dual concentration between International health and Maternal and Child Health (community health sciences) and I find it very practical for the most part. There's a lot of realistic, real-world type things that I've learned how to do in class. It's really good.

I know the Boston MPH program is ranked about the same as Tulane and that their health mgmt program is supposed to be really good, and my impression is that their international health program is up and coming.

As for UAB, I don't know much about it. I've heard about them in relation to maternal and child health I think, but otherwise I don't know much about their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shikamoo...??? Unajua kiswahili? Niambie...

I'm thinking about doing Tulane's MD/MPH program but haven't decided... I am trying to feel out if it is worth spending the extra (31,000) to get my MPH in relation to the kind of work I want to do??? But when I visited Tulane, I loved the school!

jeff

Hey Dr. Geoff, ndio, ninajua kiswahili! (well, not really - that's about the extent of it...) Were you a PCV somewhere in East Africa, I take it? Anyway, yeah, so I finally accepted Tulane the other day. It was tough; I think all those programs are good. In the end I guess the pull of the french quarter was just too much (er, or something like that). Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, I'm excited to get going. Now, for the mad housing search...