Starting new activities in January & applying in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstorm

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a new clinical volunteer activity and non clinical volunteer activity in January. I am doing them because I am interested in them. I already have other clinical and non clinical activities that date back around 1.5-2 years. So would starting new gigs hurt or be seen as "box checking"?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you want. Just put time into them if you're gonna do them and put them in AMCAS. At least maybe 80-120hrs each. Also you can say that you're gonna keep doing them and estimate hrs. Just make sure you do things for the right reasons or you will be miserable

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a new clinical volunteer activity and non clinical volunteer activity in January. I am doing them because I am interested in them. I already have other clinical and non clinical activities that date back around 1.5-2 years. So would starting new gigs hurt or be seen as "box checking"?

Thank you

Definitely just do it. I started something in June and applied in July and when it was addressed in interviews it wasn't an issue they just wanted to know what else I'd learned since then.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely do it. I didn't have any shadowing before January, but then started two new shadowing activities in January till June, submitted primary around August and wrote both on my app. Each was about 60 to 80 hours, and have 3 ii so far. Nothing to lose!

Is there supposed to a recommend minimum of hours for any given activity? Is 40-50 hours too small to put down?

Is there supposed to a recommend minimum of hours for any given activity? Is 40-50 hours too small to put down?

No, I don't think so. You should list it anyway.