Starting out....Slightly overwhelmed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vezrias

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations!

I'm going to cut to the chase as quickly as possible, while giving the most information possible.

I've been a dental office manager for roughly 5 years, about a year ago one of my practicing doctors mentioned that she believed I should try my hand at Dental School, feeling I'd be a natural. I sat on the idea for the last year and finally decided to start moving forward... and oh boy, did I not realize how overwhelming all the different information was going to be.

Some stats:
A little bit about myself, I "earned" a degree from a very popular online college about a decade ago in my early 20's, and did terribly. My overall GPA was around a 2.70, I am now 30 and looking to figure out how to approach this entire thing. I'll mention that my Bachelor's degree was not science based, so I have to take all the normal sequences for science.

It was suggested to me(by a few dentists I know) to just get the courses done at a community college, push for a 3.2+ overall GPA and a 3.5+ science GPA(a bit ambitious) and try to murder the DAT.

I guess my question for you guys would be if I should go the community college route or try to get my GPA up and get into a post bacc program. I'm a California resident and recently spoke to UCLA and Cal State San Marcos about their programs, both are roughly 55 credits and last 24 months. In that same time at a Community College I could realistically(with 3.0 credit pad classes) take 80+ units in that time. Which do you think is the better option? and is this whole thing realistic(I can take the honesty)

Thank you your time.

Members don't see this ad.

a 3.2 is not good enough, especially with your rocky history. CC credits are acceptable, though I think non-matriculated 4-year credits or a formal post-bacc is preferable... Aiming for 4.0, settling with 3.6+ and a 21AA+ on the DAT I think would be a recipe for success. Sounds intimidating, if you're committed (you need more of a reason than a dentist told me I could do it), then its doable if you attack it in chunks. Once you've committed to a plan/schedule, just focus on the task at hand, like the next test or assignment, rather than the whole package. but most importantly make sure YOU want it -- this road is way too long and expensive and stressful if you're not in it for the long haul. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If you're 30 with a 2.7 GPA you don't have what it takes. It would be a waste of time. Lets say you take 2 years of comm college. 1 year after that to start classes. Now you are graduating at age 37 at best with large debt.

Investments should be made based on probability. Given your past performance, dental school is a rigorous beast that cannot be compared to online college.

I am not trying to shoot you down but statistically this is not a good investment

You should look into computer programing or maybe hygiene school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're 30 with a 2.7 GPA you don't have what it takes. It would be a waste of time. Lets say you take 2 years of comm college. 1 year after that to start classes. Now you are graduating at age 37 at best with large debt.

Investments should be made based on probability. Given your past performance, dental school is a rigorous beast that cannot be compared to online college.

I am not trying to shoot you down but statistically this is not a good investment

Don't listen to this, if it's in your heart go for it. I know what it feels like to have it eating at you. Have to be relentless though with your grades and aim for 4.0. I went back to school at 30, did all my pre-reqs except biochem at a community college, finished up with 24 a's and 3 b's, got accepted to two schools on 12/1 with a good size scholarship at a state school and about to go on an interview to my number one next week. You are gonna have to show a drastic improvement from your 2.7 though as no amount of life experience will make up for consistently poor grades. I'd go the cc route for sure, there will be understanding for that since you are a working adult. Good luck its a tough but fun journey and so rewarding when you finally tackle it!

Reactions: 2 users
I second the above. Don't listen to Garett24. At 30 I had a 2.7 GPA and I am going to dental school this fall. Yes, it will be a lot of hard work, yes you will have to do very well, but if you are up for it and believe in your abilities, then go for it. I would recommend a combo of community college and some kind of post bacc or second degree. Make sure the schools you are interested in will accept CC credits. It took me four years to get accepted, but even if I hadn't been I feel a ton better about myself after all the hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
OP disregard the toxic and negative responses you see on these forums. Majority of people here are only capable of giving you their opinion since they do not work in admissions. A lot of posters in the pre-dental forums are too young to realize and understand that your undergraduate performance is not representative of the remainder of your life and that GPA doesn't translate to success. People continue to grow and develop after undergrad. I have two cousins that are D3s and didn't start dental school until their 30s. One of them doesn't even have a degree.

I was also a nontraditional applicant, so this is my opinion based on my experiences. I finished undergrad in business with just under a 3.4 GPA. I worked a few years and decided I didn't like what I was doing. I enrolled back into a 4 year university as a non-degree seeking applicant in fall of 2016 and finished all prerequisite course in fall of 2017 with a 4.0. Took the DAT in July of 2017, did well, and had an acceptance December 1st. Three of the interviews I had only looked at my post bachelors GPA. School was a breeze this time because I had developed and matured since undergrad. I was even fortunate enough to be hired as a TA for Organic II and Physics I for the past two semesters.

Feel free to message me if you have any additional questions.

There are a # of options you could take, depending on how much you are willing to commit to this.

If you wanted to maximize your chances, I would suggest try getting into a CSU/UC bachelor's program and complete the pre-reqs that way. Your low GPA in the past will be a talking point, but will not be a deal breaker. You've had years and years of real work experience and your past academic performance is not necessarily indicative of you right now. If you show that you are capable of the academic rigors, ie 3.5+ GPA, I think it will not be difficult for schools to overlook your past GPA.

Alternatively, you could just take all the pre reqs in a post-bac program and apply from there, assuming you really knock the DAT out with exceptional scores.

Having a knack for dentistry is one thing, but it is heavily rooted in science and you need to be able to show the adcoms that you are able to handle the course load.

Reactions: 1 user

Don’t listen to this advice. Get that GPA up and Ace all those science classes at a university. Also take some upper level science classes after those prerequisites. I’m 32 and just got an acceptance this year. Message me if you have any questions.

Don't listen to this, if it's in your heart go for it. I know what it feels like to have it eating at you. Have to be relentless though with your grades and aim for 4.0. I went back to school at 30, did all my pre-reqs except biochem at a community college, finished up with 24 a's and 3 b's, got accepted to two schools on 12/1 with a good size scholarship at a state school and about to go on an interview to my number one next week. You are gonna have to show a drastic improvement from your 2.7 though as no amount of life experience will make up for consistently poor grades. I'd go the cc route for sure, there will be understanding for that since you are a working adult. Good luck its a tough but fun journey and so rewarding when you finally tackle it!

I've accepted that for the next few years, this is my life, I need to work my ass off to get as many A's as I can. My work ethic from 21 to 30 has completely changed so I know I can do it, and I know that it will be a journey.
I want to prove to the adcoms that the person who received the 2.7GPA and the person that applies for their program have completely changed. I know there isn't an "easy" way for this, its hard work and its going to take time, but this is what I want to do with my life. I appreciate the positive comments and constructive comments alike, I'm aware of the situation being not the most ideal, but I made my bed years ago with a poor GPA and if I want this I need to be the one to fix it.

I want to mention more on why I want to become a dentist, its not just because it was suggested to me by someone I worked with. To best summarize it, I would just have to describe it as a feeling. At our office we had a patient in her 50's, through a bad string of life history she had come to us with a mouth that appeared as though a grenade had gone off in it. She couldn't eat solid foods, could barely make legible words and would cover her mouth with her hand every time she spoke. The diagnosis was a complete reconstruction with implants, crowns, bridges, etc. It was an arduous process for the patient, in and out of the chair for months, surgery, po checks, placements, very trying for her. Fast forward to the day we finally seated the last of her implant crowns, our surgeon had brought her donuts to sample for after she would be able to eat. She bit into a donut, didn't have the pain she normally had when chewing, could really bite into it, enjoy the flavors, let it simmer around. She began weeping uncontrollably, we had given her back something that she lost a decade ago, and something people take for granted, the ability to enjoy just a simple donut. Her life was completely changed. Everyone was choked up, it was a great experience, and no where else in my 14 years of work life have I ever been able to experience something like that. Those are the experiences I want to give my patients as a Dentist.

Thank you for your time.

I've accepted that for the next few years, this is my life, I need to work my ass off to get as many A's as I can. My work ethic from 21 to 30 has completely changed so I know I can do it, and I know that it will be a journey.
I want to prove to the adcoms that the person who received the 2.7GPA and the person that applies for their program have completely changed. I know there isn't an "easy" way for this, its hard work and its going to take time, but this is what I want to do with my life. I appreciate the positive comments and constructive comments alike, I'm aware of the situation being not the most ideal, but I made my bed years ago with a poor GPA and if I want this I need to be the one to fix it.

I want to mention more on why I want to become a dentist, its not just because it was suggested to me by someone I worked with. To best summarize it, I would just have to describe it as a feeling. At our office we had a patient in her 50's, through a bad string of life history she had come to us with a mouth that appeared as though a grenade had gone off in it. She couldn't eat solid foods, could barely make legible words and would cover her mouth with her hand every time she spoke. The diagnosis was a complete reconstruction with implants, crowns, bridges, etc. It was an arduous process for the patient, in and out of the chair for months, surgery, po checks, placements, very trying for her. Fast forward to the day we finally seated the last of her implant crowns, our surgeon had brought her donuts to sample for after she would be able to eat. She bit into a donut, didn't have the pain she normally had when chewing, could really bite into it, enjoy the flavors, let it simmer around. She began weeping uncontrollably, we had given her back something that she lost a decade ago, and something people take for granted, the ability to enjoy just a simple donut. Her life was completely changed. Everyone was choked up, it was a great experience, and no where else in my 14 years of work life have I ever been able to experience something like that. Those are the experiences I want to give my patients as a Dentist.

Thank you for your time.
You have a ton of stuff to write about in your PS!

There are a # of options you could take, depending on how much you are willing to commit to this.

If you wanted to maximize your chances, I would suggest try getting into a CSU/UC bachelor's program and complete the pre-reqs that way. Your low GPA in the past will be a talking point, but will not be a deal breaker. You've had years and years of real work experience and your past academic performance is not necessarily indicative of you right now. If you show that you are capable of the academic rigors, ie 3.5+ GPA, I think it will not be difficult for schools to overlook your past GPA.

Alternatively, you could just take all the pre reqs in a post-bac program and apply from there, assuming you really knock the DAT out with exceptional scores.

Having a knack for dentistry is one thing, but it is heavily rooted in science and you need to be able to show the adcoms that you are able to handle the course load.

I've contacted UC and CSU schools about doing this, but have been told since I already have a Bachelor's degree, they would only accept me as a Master's student, which may be an option down the road, I just don't have any science courses completed in order to apply for Master's in a science based subject. Apparently Private colleges in California are the only ones that allow you to get a second Bachelor's degree now? - Source, the admissions department at UCR. I did speak with Cal State Fullerton and Cal State San Marcos about their Pre-Health Professions Program(post bacc) but both informed me I would need to bump my GPA up to a 3.0 in order to apply for their program, which is definitely an option. The Post Bacc focuses heavily on some higher end science courses. Since I cannot provide the link I will past the course load.

BIOL 210 & 210L (4)

CHEM 150 & 150L (5)

MATH 132 (3)

BIOL 211 & 211L (4)

CHEM 250 & CHEM 250L (4)

MATH 242 (3)

CHEM 201/201L (5)

CHEM 341 (3)

CHEM 202 & 202L (5)

PHYS 101 & 101L (5)

BIOL 160 & 160L (4)

BIOL 321 (3)

PHYS 102 & 102L (4)

I've contacted UC and CSU schools about doing this, but have been told since I already have a Bachelor's degree, they would only accept me as a Master's student, which may be an option down the road, I just don't have any science courses completed in order to apply for Master's in a science based subject. Apparently Private colleges in California are the only ones that allow you to get a second Bachelor's degree now? - Source, the admissions department at UCR. I did speak with Cal State Fullerton and Cal State San Marcos about their Pre-Health Professions Program(post bacc) but both informed me I would need to bump my GPA up to a 3.0 in order to apply for their program, which is definitely an option. The Post Bacc focuses heavily on some higher end science courses. Since I cannot provide the link I will past the course load.

BIOL 210 & 210L (4)

CHEM 150 & 150L (5)

MATH 132 (3)

BIOL 211 & 211L (4)

CHEM 250 & CHEM 250L (4)

MATH 242 (3)

CHEM 201/201L (5)

CHEM 341 (3)

CHEM 202 & 202L (5)

PHYS 101 & 101L (5)

BIOL 160 & 160L (4)

BIOL 321 (3)

PHYS 102 & 102L (4)

Can you not apply as a non-degree seeking student? Usually schools have this options for professionals that want to get up to date on a new skill or technology or for people who want to casually explore a new field.

Can you not apply as a non-degree seeking student? Usually schools have this options for professionals that want to get up to date on a new skill or technology or for people who want to casually explore a new field.
When I spoke to UCR and CSSM they told me it would not be possible to do that. I would have to claim a major and be actively pursuing a degree, and was informed that a second bachelor's was not an option. They recommended I seek out a school like University of Redlands or USC if I wanted to go this route.

I will reach out again, this conversation with UCR/CSSM took place a year ago.

You can do it but you have to be extremely committed and know what you are getting yourself into. If I had a nickel for every time I knew an assistant or hygenist that would make a great dentist id be rich...or atleast have enough for a can of pop. Unfortunately getting into dental school and getting through is not based on how great people think you are or how good your hands are, theres a lot of hoops to jump through.

If you really want to do it, know that it is going to take a lot of work but it is definitely possible.

BIOL 210 & 210L (4)

CHEM 150 & 150L (5)

MATH 132 (3)

BIOL 211 & 211L (4)

CHEM 250 & CHEM 250L (4)

MATH 242 (3)

CHEM 201/201L (5)

CHEM 341 (3)

CHEM 202 & 202L (5)

PHYS 101 & 101L (5)

BIOL 160 & 160L (4)

BIOL 321 (3)

PHYS 102 & 102L (4)

Without any sciences classes weighing your sGPA down in the past, you would *almost *be starting off on a fresh start, so to speak. I think if you go the route of the post-bacc and get great grades + a high DAT score, you can have a decent shot of an acceptance somewhere. With that being said, it's going to be a tough and long road to getting those marks.

Without any sciences classes weighing your sGPA down in the past, you would *almost *be starting off on a fresh start, so to speak. I think if you go the route of the post-bacc and get great grades + a high DAT score, you can have a decent shot of an acceptance somewhere. With that being said, it's going to be a tough and long road to getting those marks.
Yeah, you're right, a long, tough, road ahead, but that's what I'm signing up for. Spoke to Cal State San Marcos again this afternoon, they mentioned that with their experience some of their higher science classes have helped non-traditional students get into medical programs. They didn't specifically mention dental, because the post bacc is general pre-health. With that said, the goal at the moment is to get my GPA up a bit over the next couple of semesters at a local CC, then apply for a Post Bacc, work my ass off to get good grades while in it and get into a DAT study program. Thank you to everyone who gave input to my situation, I am feeling strangely optimistic today after talking with all of you about my situation. I know its going to be tough, and there isn't an easy way out, and that's okay, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Yeah, you're right, a long, tough, road ahead, but that's what I'm signing up for. Spoke to Cal State San Marcos again this afternoon, they mentioned that with their experience some of their higher science classes have helped non-traditional students get into medical programs. They didn't specifically mention dental, because the post bacc is general pre-health. With that said, the goal at the moment is to get my GPA up a bit over the next couple of semesters at a local CC, then apply for a Post Bacc, work my ass off to get good grades while in it and get into a DAT study program. Thank you to everyone who gave input to my situation, I am feeling strangely optimistic today after talking with all of you about my situation. I know its going to be tough, and there isn't an easy way out, and that's okay, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Please consider this advice. I've recently completed dental school, have meet a lot of predents, and I've witnessed admissions operate from the other side while I was in school.

The bottom line is that you need to go about all this in the most efficient and cheapest way.
1.) Take the predent science prereqs (make sure they are the correct "premed" versions) at a cheap community college that offers classes all throughout the day several times a week. This will be cheaper than university and it will fit your schedule. The professors also tend to be more flexible.
2.) Apply ASAP by holding off on physics and focusing on your DAT prereqs. Plan the physics/English courses for the time you're hearing back about interviews/matriculating etc.
3.) EDIT*** Use rate my professor to make sure you're signing up with professors that will ***NOT*** inhibit your success. Blunty, you want easy/good ones.
4.) Get A's. Nothing else. You need them badly to show a huge upward trend.
5.) After you've interviewed send a email/letter demonstrating your interest in the school.
6.) IGNORE everything you hear from 18-22 year olds regarding "prestige", "university", fancy masters programs, MBA/JD/ etc.

Last edited:
When I spoke to UCR and CSSM they told me it would not be possible to do that. I would have to claim a major and be actively pursuing a degree, and was informed that a second bachelor's was not an option. They recommended I seek out a school like University of Redlands or USC if I wanted to go this route.
Can’t you go for a BS in biology and get another degree? Even though you don’t plan on finishing it(maybe)?

Can’t you go for a BS in biology and get another degree? Even though you don’t plan on finishing it(maybe)?
A lot of people have told me I could, but the admissions departments at these schools are saying they no longer allow someone to try to obtain multiple Bachelor's degrees. I've been told by them(as recently as this afternoon) that none of the UC or Cal State schools allow for it. USC and University of Redlands, which are private schools, do, however, they are also the most expensive options.

Please consider this advice. I've recently completed dental school, have meet a lot of predents, and I've witnessed admissions operate from the other side while I was in school.

The bottom line is that you need to go about all this in the most efficient and cheapest way.
1.) Take the predent science prereqs (make sure they are the correct "premed" versions) at a cheap community college that offers classes all throughout the day several times a week. This will be cheaper than university and it will fit your schedule. The professors also tend to be more flexible.
2.) Apply ASAP by holding off on physics and focusing on your DAT prereqs. Plan the physics/English courses for the time you're hearing back about interviews/matriculating etc.
3.) Use rate my professor to make sure you're signing up with professors that will inhibit your success. Blunty, you want easy/good ones.
4.) Get A's. Nothing else. You need them badly to show a huge upward trend.
5.) After you're interviewed send a email/letter demonstrating your interest in the school.
6.) IGNORE everything you hear from 18-22 year olds regarding "prestige", "university", fancy masters programs, MBA/JD/ etc.

This seems like super solid advice, and I appreciate it. My only question would be the oGPA, if I get straight A's at the CC level, best I can walk away with is roughly a 3.2 oGPA ,however, if I was rocking that A average, that means by Science GPA would be stellar. How realistic do you think it is to lean heavily on the Science GPA and DAT?

This seems like super solid advice, and I appreciate it. My only question would be the oGPA, if I get straight A's at the CC level, best I can walk away with is roughly a 3.2 oGPA ,however, if I was rocking that A average, that means by Science GPA would be stellar. How realistic do you think it is to lean heavily on the Science GPA and DAT?

For some schools it will likely be a problem. Cross Harvard and Columbia schools off your list. Apply to sensible schools and apply early! Then go to the cheapest.