Starting Post Bacc a few months before June Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krebmah

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a GPA of 3.4 and have not written my DAT's yet. I need core and upper science prerequisite courses from a US accredited university as I completed my undergrad internationally. I was planning on taking a post-bacc to raise my gpa and take those courses, however the soonest i can start is spring of 2017, and i plan on applying to schools in june 2017. Will most schools be okay with me completing the post-bacc before matriculation and still review my application, or should I apply after I complete the postbacc.

Also, is a post bacc from a community college looked down upon? One such as Meredith College in NC?
 
I could be wrong, but you may have to push your application back a year. It would be difficult for admissions to gauge you if you have not taken any prerequisites when you apply. I recommend working on your postbacc, then take your DAT when the material is still fresh, and apply June 2018.
If you apply in 2017, you may end up throwing away a lot of money.
 
I have a GPA of 3.4 and have not written my DAT's yet. I need core and upper science prerequisite courses from a US accredited university as I completed my undergrad internationally. I was planning on taking a post-bacc to raise my gpa and take those courses, however the soonest i can start is spring of 2017, and i plan on applying to schools in june 2017. Will most schools be okay with me completing the post-bacc before matriculation and still review my application, or should I apply after I complete the postbacc.

Also, is a post bacc from a community college looked down upon? One such as Meredith College in NC?


Meredith college is not a community college, it's just a small private college. If you are going/wanting to be in NC check out the post bac at UNC Greensboro
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meredith college is not a community college, it's just a small private college. If you are going/wanting to be in NC check out the post bac at UNC Greensboro
I'm doing my post bac thru UNCG. A better option would be post bac thru ECU since they have a dental school there. I wanted to be close to my family
 
I'm doing my post bac thru UNCG. A better option would be post bac thru ECU since they have a dental school there. I wanted to be close to my family

Word, I didn't know ECU had one. I also just remembered that chapel hill is starting to offer a post bacc too! I just finished at UNCG, good experience overall.
 
Yea, either ECU or here at UNCG. Again, taking the post bac at ECU gives you a foot in the door already