Starting Prereqs Late and Study Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted295924

I'm about to finish up my 1st quarter of undergrad (finance major), and finally decided that I want to explore my options with medicine. Is it a problem that I won't be able to start the prereqs. until next fall? I've already registered for winter quarter and I need to take a math class before I can get into bio/chem/physics.

I also was planning to study abroad for a semester, but I can live with doing a summer or short term program. Will it be possible to fit all this in?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to finish up my 1st quarter of undergrad (finance major), and finally decided that I want to explore my options with medicine. Is it a problem that I won't be able to start the prereqs. until next fall? I've already registered for winter quarter and I need to take a math class before I can get into bio/chem/physics.

I also was planning to study abroad for a semester, but I can live with doing a summer or short term program. Will it be possible to fit all this in?

Are you insane?! It's not a problem at all! Nothing says you have to do the prereqs on a certain timeline or that you have to be done within a certain time limit. Explore all your options - see if maybe you would like being a PA or RN or something better. Confirm (or reaffirm) that medicine is really what you wanna do. And the best part is, you have months to do so! It's really a blessing.

As for the study abroad, I highly encourage you to do it. A semester is fine; a year would be best. If you're passionate about going, it'll be more than worth it. You learn about new cultures and new points of view. You see your home country from the eyes of another and begin to love and hate both home and the place you study. If the people there speak another language, it's almost necessary to stay for a year to get everything down right. And, of course, the friends you make will last a lifetime. I've never met someone who regretted studying abroad even a bit.

My overall point is this: stop thinking about timelines and 'sacrifices' to make on your path into medicine. Enjoy the journey: take time to explore, reflect, and celebrate. If you rush it, you'll probably regret it someday.

Hope this helps!

There is nothing sacred about applying after junior or senior year of college. Go at your own pace, have fun, experience everything you wanted to.

Just keep your GPA high on the journey. Be very sure you understand how study abroad grades will transfer back to your primary university, as we've seen posts where an unfamiliar international grading system ruined a GPA.

Folks apply to med school in their 30s and beyond successfully, so don't put unwarranted pressure on yourself to get everything done in the next three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true! I'm a third year who has only done SOME of my pre-reqs and I still went abroad. In fact, I'm there right now! I don't regret a thing, and what I've learned here has helped solidify my direction and sense of self. So worth it. You'll live with regrets and missed opportunities if you don't.... and isn't ceasing opportunities what this forum is all about?

Good luck, and have fun! :)