Starting to look into PT. Do I have a Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

River Song

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm just starting to look into PT. To be honest I was planning on attending PA school but after 2 years to applying I'm starting to look into other professions I find intriguing.
With my stats its nearly impossible to be accepted into PA schools ( found that out the hard way). Before spending money and time into PT schools I just wanted some opinions on whether I have a chance at PT schools or should I look into something else.

Undergrad- Biology
cGPA- 3.22 ( after retaking some classes post bacc)
sGPA - 3.20 (after retaking some classes post bacc)
GRE 51% in verbal 49% in quantitative and 40% writing

Experience- Patient care associate in the trauma and surgery floor. I work with some great PTs on the floor.
EMT
Scribe
Free clinic (intake and med room)
After doing more research I will start cold calling some clinics and nursing homes to see if I can shadow a PT
I will also be volunteering at the Rehab floor in my hospital and shadowing some PT there as well

Is LOR from a professor necessary because after 3 yrs of graduating I don't have contact with any professors. And don't believe they remember me. I can get a LOR from some PTs

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm just starting to look into PT. To be honest I was planning on attending PA school but after 2 years to applying I'm starting to look into other professions I find intriguing.
With my stats its nearly impossible to be accepted into PA schools ( found that out the hard way). Before spending money and time into PT schools I just wanted some opinions on whether I have a chance at PT schools or should I look into something else.

Undergrad- Biology
cGPA- 3.22 ( after retaking some classes post bacc)
sGPA - 3.20 (after retaking some classes post bacc)
GRE 51% in verbal 49% in quantitative and 40% writing

Experience- Patient care associate in the trauma and surgery floor. I work with some great PTs on the floor.
EMT
Scribe
Free clinic (intake and med room)
After doing more research I will start cold calling some clinics and nursing homes to see if I can shadow a PT
I will also be volunteering at the Rehab floor in my hospital and shadowing some PT there as well

Is LOR from a professor necessary because after 3 yrs of graduating I don't have contact with any professors. And don't believe they remember me. I can get a LOR from some PTs

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

If the only reason you switching over to applying to PT school because you believe it is easier than PA school to get in... then I don't know what to tell you. The acceptance rates and competitive admission statistics are relatively similar if you pull statistics from both CASPA and PTCAS. For many schools, a letter of recommendation from a professor/academic professional is necessary, but not all schools require them. Many schools also require a minimum 50% in both Verbal and Quantitative for the GRE. If you do some research, there are a few handful of private schools that are less competitive, have lower GRE requirements, and don't require a letter of recommendation from a professor which can get you in the foot for an interview.

If you have the time, I would shadow a PT first to see if you even like the career. The majority of PT programs are longer than PA programs, requiring additional time and often will cost more. An entry-level PT's salary also is not as lucrative as a PA, and many PT's remain in debt for years after graduating. I would research more about the career before you jump ship.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea like the above poster stated, getting into PT school is about equal in difficulty and competitiveness. I also disagree with the statement that your stats would not get you into PA school. I think if you raised your GRE to above the average scores of the schools youre applying to then you would offset your lower GPA. Also be very selective with the schools you apply to and select less prestigious schools, youll still be a PA in the end. I was also an EMT and ER scribe as well as a Pharm Tech, thats how I found I did not want to be a PA or MD. I think PT is something you need to have a passion for since it is 3 years, a lot of debt and not as much return as PA.

Reactions: 1 user