State boards contacting every supervisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylortaylor164

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a supervisor who I did not get along with that well. When I apply for licensure after my degree, will listing their name and contact information hurt my chance at obtaining license? Do state boards go in a contact all of them? It looks like some states require some sort of verification from every supervisor (WA being an example).

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied for licensure in three states and in all of them it was just a form that the supervisor completed and submitted to the board. I don't recall the form asking very personal questions, more just verifying hours and experience.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a supervisor who I did not get along with that well. When I apply for licensure after my degree, will listing their name and contact information hurt my chance at obtaining license? Do state boards go in a contact all of them? It looks like some states require some sort of verification from every supervisor (WA being an example).
Do you mean just a prac supervisor during your doc program or a supervisor during internship? For my state as I recall I just submitted my internship supervisors and postdoc supervisor in terms of who I listed in specific, not every supervisor I ever had.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think in my state the ask for contact information on every practicum supervisor. Specific forms have to be completed by internship and postdoc supervisors

In my state if you do a formal postdoc, that along with internship stuff is all you need. If you didn't do a postdoc, yes, you have to list all prac supervisors from grad school. I'm not sure if they actually call them though.

I don't recall ever having been contacted by a state board directly, unless it was to follow-up for clarification on an attestation form I'd submitted for a former trainee. I also never heard that any of my past supervisors were contacted by any boards; they just completed and submitted the attestation forms.

Although I would hope that even if you didn't get along with the supervisor, if they were contacted, they would still at least validate your training hours.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't recall ever having been contacted by a state board directly, unless it was to follow-up for clarification on an attestation form I'd submitted for a former trainee. I also never heard that any of my past supervisors were contacted by any boards; they just completed and submitted the attestation forms.

Although I would hope that even if you didn't get along with the supervisor, if they were contacted, they would still at least validate your training hours.

Yeah, I've never been contacted from state boards about of any of the interns or postdocs I've supervised over the years.