Employment & Professional Networking State Certification/NBCOT Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanielleOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a question about getting state certified and taking the NBCOT! I just finished my first year of the program (2 more to go). I live in New Jersey and I've heard that state certification takes a really long time. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Also, say we were to get offered a job right out of fieldwork, you can not start until you pass the NBCOT and get state certified, correct? I was thinking about planning a trip while I waited for my results and certification but I'm not exactly sure how all of this works, especially with the timeline. How long does all of this take from the time I take the NBCOT until I get my certification? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Every state is different, so you will have to see what the deal is in New Jersey. It also may depend on your prospective employers. You can't get your state license until you pass the NBCOT. Some states have a temporary license you can work under, others do not. I had heard that for my state, processing the license could take several weeks, so I politely called and bugged them and told them I needed it ASAP because I had a job offer, and they turned it around quickly for me.