State colleges, med. school, my studies?

Started by NaCksm
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NaCksm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm just a junior in high school right now and I would like to be a doctor(nurse or OT if I can't make it). I love medicine and helping people. It is definilty one of my passions.
But, I am behind in my studies. I am a junior and taking Alg 2/trig. I struggle in math. I also am taking regular chemistry, but I am struggling in that class! I also BSed my geometry, I do not know ANYTHING about geo, my teacher was super easy to pass and you could have just not done anything. I also do not get anything and my teachers is REALLY crazy and scary! If you ask her questions she might just yell at you. I really studied for 2 tests and both of them I got a mere 64, a D. I thought I would get at least a C on those test and I was really frustrated once I saw my test score. That is the highest grade I ever got on her test with doing corrections. I decided I will go to a CC first and maybe go to a UC. Or maybe a state college, does not have to be pretigous state colleges. Would state colleges be good and may get accepted? And what should I do about math and chemsitry? I really am bad at those. Which means I will probably suck at physics to...
 
Hi,
I'm just a junior in high school right now and I would like to be a doctor(nurse or OT if I can't make it). I love medicine and helping people. It is definilty one of my passions.
But, I am behind in my studies. I am a junior and taking Alg 2/trig. I struggle in math. I also am taking regular chemistry, but I am struggling in that class! I also BSed my geometry, I do not know ANYTHING about geo, my teacher was super easy to pass and you could have just not done anything. I also do not get anything and my teachers is REALLY crazy and scary! If you ask her questions she might just yell at you. I really studied for 2 tests and both of them I got a mere 64, a D. I thought I would get at least a C on those test and I was really frustrated once I saw my test score. That is the highest grade I ever got on her test with doing corrections. I decided I will go to a CC first and maybe go to a UC. Or maybe a state college, does not have to be pretigous state colleges. Would state colleges be good and may get accepted? And what should I do about math and chemsitry? I really am bad at those. Which means I will probably suck at physics to...

Maybe try to get a private tutor...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm just a junior in high school right now and I would like to be a doctor(nurse or OT if I can't make it). I love medicine and helping people. It is definilty one of my passions.
But, I am behind in my studies. I am a junior and taking Alg 2/trig. I struggle in math. I also am taking regular chemistry, but I am struggling in that class! I also BSed my geometry, I do not know ANYTHING about geo, my teacher was super easy to pass and you could have just not done anything. I also do not get anything and my teachers is REALLY crazy and scary! If you ask her questions she might just yell at you. I really studied for 2 tests and both of them I got a mere 64, a D. I thought I would get at least a C on those test and I was really frustrated once I saw my test score. That is the highest grade I ever got on her test with doing corrections. I decided I will go to a CC first and maybe go to a UC. Or maybe a state college, does not have to be pretigous state colleges. Would state colleges be good and may get accepted? And what should I do about math and chemsitry? I really am bad at those. Which means I will probably suck at physics to...

Sometimes you just have to go to other sources to learn something well. Luckily I had good teachers in HS so I got the basics of chem/phys/calc down there and then when it was more advanced in undergrad I was able to build off of what I already knew. Bio/Chem/Math/Physics are the courses which figure into your BCMP GPA when applying to medical school so its extremely important that you do well in those classes at the very least (probably all your classes for that matter since cumulative GPA matters as well). Anyhow talk to another teacher or a counselor and see if they can help you out if you're convinced that you can't talk to your current teacher. As far as choosing a college goes. It may help you out in medical school admissions if you go to a more prestigious university, but there are plenty of student who went to BlahBlahBlah State University and I do know current medical students who spent a couple years in a community college before transferring to State U. Do the best you can in HS right now; get your grades up so that you can get into the college that you want to go to and so that you have a base for the more advanced classes that you'll encounter while in college. If it takes a lot of time and effort then you'll just have to decide right now if its worth it because you need to keep in mind that medical school will take a considerable amount of time and effort (not to mention the fact that college will too if you're already struggling with HS science courses). Good luck!
 
Hi,
I'm just a junior in high school right now and I would like to be a doctor(nurse or OT if I can't make it). I love medicine and helping people. It is definilty one of my passions.
But, I am behind in my studies. I am a junior and taking Alg 2/trig. I struggle in math. I also am taking regular chemistry, but I am struggling in that class! I also BSed my geometry, I do not know ANYTHING about geo, my teacher was super easy to pass and you could have just not done anything. I also do not get anything and my teachers is REALLY crazy and scary! If you ask her questions she might just yell at you. I really studied for 2 tests and both of them I got a mere 64, a D. I thought I would get at least a C on those test and I was really frustrated once I saw my test score. That is the highest grade I ever got on her test with doing corrections. I decided I will go to a CC first and maybe go to a UC. Or maybe a state college, does not have to be pretigous state colleges. Would state colleges be good and may get accepted? And what should I do about math and chemsitry? I really am bad at those. Which means I will probably suck at physics to...

I am in kind of the same boat you are.

In complete honesty, I place full blame on the teachers.

I go to a public school and the teachers here are TERRIBLE. I pay attention, do my HW, stay after school, yet I still do poorly on tests because my teacher just doesn't teach. Kids from previous years come into my class and talk to the teacher. It's bad, and my GPA is suffering because of it, and guess what? Colleges don't care if your teacher is garbage.

A piece of advice:

Do NOT get discouraged. The kids coming into my class, the teacher, and the vast majority kids in my class are idiots and will not amount to anything. I keep telling myself that just to get me through the hour.

It stinks having bad instructors. And you know what gets on my nerves? When someone sits down with me and actually TEACHES me how to do it, I ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL COMPLETELY. Imagine that 🙄.

I will wind up with around a C this semester. My parents are having me home schooled during the week now. You do what you have to do man...:luck:

EDIT: I am not saying all teachers are idiots but this lady is just a complete *****. My chem instructor is good but I cannot learn anything in that class...for some reason.
 
I agree with glowworm...NaCksm, have you thought about getting a tutor? A tutor might be able to explain the material in a different way and could help you understand the material better. Good luck :luck: