lizna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I am currently licensed in Michigan after completing 2 yrs of residency, moving to Texas for my third year/additional training and need to have license for moonlighting to support my family. Does any one know if you can get full license in Texas with 2 yrs of training and active practice for 1-2 yrs or does all the IMGs regardless of their practice status have to have 3 yrs of training in order to get license?

Also if permanent license is not an option, can I get provisional license? does any one know the requirements?State medical board website does not specify any Post graduate training requirements plus tried to call the board and the answering person does not know about it.

does any one know of any licensing services for Texas medical boards?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

lizna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Any info about provisional licensure in texas as how many yrs required?

lizna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
well already know about that website, only thing wanted to clear is if 3 yr rule of post graduate training is also applicable for provisional licensure or can one get provisional license with less training.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
well already know about that website, only thing wanted to clear is if 3 yr rule of post graduate training is also applicable for provisional licensure or can one get provisional license with less training.
It doesn't matter does it? Every moonlighting opportunity I've seen (outside of one's home institution) required a full and unrestricted license and DEA #.

SammyDavisJrJr

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
To moonlight outside of your training site in Texas you need (in general):

1. Full/Unrestricted license
2. Texas DPS number
3. Federal DEA number
4. ACLS, PALS, ATLS (most places)

I don't think that Texas has any type of provisional license. There is a "Temporary license" but this is given to people who have applied for a permanent/unrestricted license, had their application approved, and are waiting for the TMB to meet to grant them formal licensure (I think the board meets very 2 months). I'm not sure what the training requirements are for IMGs. Are you going somewhere that has internal moonlighting? You only need your training license for that I think.

Good luck!

SammyDavisJrJr

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Here's a link to the Texas Medical Board license application and requirements:

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/physicians/applicants/physicianapplicants.php

It's also really expensive in Texas. Here's a breakdown of the fees from a few years ago (I don't remember the exact numbers):

License application (800-900)
License registration (450)
Texas DPS number (25)
DEA number (550)

If you aren't ATLS certified and your training program doesn't pay for it, I think it's between 600 and 700. (I took it a few years ago). Even if your program doesn't pay, it's a great class and you learn a ton.

lizna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
If you were previously terminated from a training program for interpersonal communication problems not involving patient care, would this history effect the getting the in training permit or permanent license? does any one who got the in training permit in Texas after being terminated from an old program and was offered a training slot in new program?