State of Residence??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doubtnichts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm guessing this might be a pretty odd question. I've lived all my life in Pennsylvania and would like to consider that my state of residence, however my parents moved to Michigan during my freshman year of college. I still got to college in Pennsylvania and I've only really ever spent a few summers in Michigan. Will Med. schools consider me to be a PA or MI resident?? I really want to stay in PA for med school and was hoping to be considered in-state.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are considered in-state at your PA undergraduate institution and you are applying to begin an M.D. program the Fall after you graduate, I would have to think that you would be considered a PA resident (so long as you don't have a Michigan Drivers License, haven't worked in MI, etc). Different schools do things differently so I would contact the schools that you are interested in to get more details (you could call and you don't have to give your name).

PA schools don't give a lot of IS preference, just to let you know. there's not a lot of state school love here :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your exact same shoes, except my parents moved to Colorado. Curbye is right, even Penn State is nearly half out of state and in state tuition is still kissing 50k. Whatever address you put on your AMCAS as your permanent address should be what the schools consider your official homestate. If you put something else, you can ask the schools and file a residency reclassification form. I would put Michigan as your permanent address and then appeal at the PA schools and you might get the best of both worlds. The rules vary state by state though, so do your homework.

I was in your exact same shoes, except my parents moved to Colorado. Curbye is right, even Penn State is nearly half out of state and in state tuition is still kissing 50k. Whatever address you put on your AMCAS as your permanent address should be what the schools consider your official homestate. If you put something else, you can ask the schools and file a residency reclassification form. I would put Michigan as your permanent address and then appeal at the PA schools and you might get the best of both worlds. The rules vary state by state though, so do your homework.

This.

I'm almost positive that what you put as your home address/parents' address will be your home state. At least Michigan has cheaper IS and more IS preference, although PN has more med schools.

Thanks for all the replies :), I wasn't sure how much IS preference PA had. I know that my undergrad has an agreement with Jefferson about their rural program. Does anyone know whether Jefferson specifically has a preference? Is there anywhere in the applications where I can put that even though I technically live in MI, PA is where I've grown up and still consider home?

Thanks for all the replies :), I wasn't sure how much IS preference PA had. I know that my undergrad has an agreement with Jefferson about their rural program. Does anyone know whether Jefferson specifically has a preference? Is there anywhere in the applications where I can put that even though I technically live in MI, PA is where I've grown up and still consider home?

supposedly, jefferson only has preference for delaware residents (b/c it's considered the state school of delaware), and doesn't take pa residency into consideration. there do seem to be an awful lot of pa students applying/getting accepted, though...

I've been thinking about this, too. I'm coming from Nevada and may not apply to my state school and my parents moved to CO and I really like U of CO. As a dependent of theirs, I should be classified under their residency, but I'm not sure.