state residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hafido

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, quick question.
I am considering purchasing a home in Arizona and moving out there from California by the end of the summer, thus going to school and completing my pre-reqs there. I would like to get into a CA school, but fear of going out of state because of the whole residency issue (losing CA residency if gone longer than a year). Would it be an issue, if so, anyway of getting around it?

Members don't see this ad.

You will be legally an AZ resident. Buying property and paying property taxes and living somewhere for a year are definite ways to obtain residency in a certain state. I'd say hold off on the property or put the house in your significan't other's name and add your name later on. Why would you want a house if you're going to move back anyway?

Cheers,
Marshall
hafido said:
Hi everyone, quick question.
I am considering purchasing a home in Arizona and moving out there from California by the end of the summer, thus going to school and completing my pre-reqs there. I would like to get into a CA school, but fear of going out of state because of the whole residency issue (losing CA residency if gone longer than a year). Would it be an issue, if so, anyway of getting around it?

HI Hafido,

Currently, the law is if you graduate from a CA high school and completed at least 3 years at a CA high school, you are a resident for tuition purposes.

I went to high school in CA and also to UC Davis. After graduating, I moved out of state to be with my husband (he is finishing a PhD program in October). So I've been working out-of-state (and paying taxes out of state), but I am considered in-state for the UC schools.

Good Luck!

Thnks for the info. I want the house for investment purposes, as I cannot afford one in the Bay Area.