state residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My primary residence is in Conn. but my family owns a vacation house in Florida as well. Obviously, AMCAS only allows you to put down one state of residency, in which I used CT. Is there any way I could parlay my family's house in FL into gaining a leg up in admissions to FL state schools? Obviously I am not an official resident (on AMCAS) but could still use any edge I could get. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you are a CT flat-lander resident.

My primary residence is in Conn. but my family owns a vacation house in Florida as well. Obviously, AMCAS only allows you to put down one state of residency, in which I used CT. Is there any way I could parlay my family's house in FL into gaining a leg up in admissions to FL state schools? Obviously I am not an official resident (on AMCAS) but could still use any edge I could get. Thanks for the help.

Nope, and anyway talking about your vacation home makes you seem spoiled. But some FL schools take a decent number of OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)

Without revealing too much information, I live on the border of two states (one of which happens to be Texas, wheeeee), If my mom is a state employee of the other state, do I get in-state status at both states? If so, hollaaaa

Without revealing too much information, I live on the border of two states (one of which happens to be Texas, wheeeee), If my mom is a state employee of the other state, do I get in-state status at both states? If so, hollaaaa

... No, just no. You are not a Texan.

UMiami, FAU, and FIU all ask about your significant ties to south Florida in your application. So, as an OOS applicant being able to talk about the area would be useful. Of course, I'm assuming the vacation house is in south Florida (why would you vacation anywhere else).

UMiami, FAU, and FIU all ask about your significant ties to south Florida in your application. So, as an OOS applicant being able to talk about the area would be useful. Of course, I'm assuming the vacation house is in south Florida (why would you vacation anywhere else).

If he had a house in the panhandle, he would have said vacation trailer...

OP, you can only have residency in only one state.

If he had a house in the panhandle, he would have said vacation trailer...

OP, you can only have residency in only one state.

And he wouldn't have said Florida, he would have said Alabama...

And he wouldn't have said Florida, he would have said Alabama...

Alabama has some fairly wealthy areas, hoss. Check out Mountain Brook. It's a suburb of Birmingham and has a $100k+ median income. However, the panhandle is poor as dirt...they can only afford jean shorts.

Alabama has some fairly wealthy areas, hoss. Check out Mountain Brook. It's a suburb of Birmingham and has a $100k+ median income. However, the panhandle is poor as dirt...they can only afford jean shorts.

I'd only wear jean shorts if I could get away with it.

... No, just no. You are not a Texan.
Well, I got in-state status in Texas so I have no right to complain. Also, what's the saying about people who move to Texas? "You weren't born here but you came to your senses soon enough."

So your question really is: "If I tell medical schools in Florida that my parents are rich, will that be an advantage?"

Answer: I certainly hope not.