state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruinlove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do dental schools determine an applicant's residency?

Do we write it in the application and they verify it later?

Or Do they do a background check for everyone? If they do, when do they do it? (ex> right after submission, or after secondary application)

And lastly, if there is any, what kind of evidence do they usually require for the residency verification?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No one got an idea? I guess schools just trust applicants on this issue.

You usually put it on your AADSAS and then if it is very important to a school (i.e. most state schools) there will be a section in the secondary where you have to "prove" your residency. For UNC there was a three page document that asked questions about where you had lived, traveled, paid taxes, voted, worked, gone to school, etc. I also had to write a brief essay explaining why I would be qualified for residency. For Tennessee there was a section in the application (they don't use AADSAS) where I had to list where I had worked, my driver's license #, where my parents lived, etc.

Residency requirements vary by state, but most require you to live in that state for at least one year without your sole purpose of being there to go to school. For example, I am from Tennessee, but I completed undergrad in North Carolina so I was a Tennessee resident. But I spent this last year in North Carolina working and changed my driver's license, car registration to NC and paid state taxes in NC this year, so now I am a NC resident.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the reply. I asked this because I recently got my green card and if the schools just count the days I have been a permanent resident, I would be out of luck.
But, based on what you have said, I guess it is safe to assume that as long as I have SSN, have driver license for the state that I reside, paid taxes for the state (as dependant of my parents) and prove these on the secondary application, I would have no problem. Am I correct?

And when do we fill out the secondaries? (if I submit initial application in early June)

I would assume that would work. You can always call your particular state school and ask.

Usually you fill out secondaries after you submit your AADSAS. Some schools will contact you with an additional form to fill out and/or to send additional money and at some schools it is just understood that once you send in your AADSAS, you'll send them a check and/or fill out their secondary (if there is one). Check each school's website to find out. Also I think there is a place on the AADSAS where it lists the supplemental information each school wants, but the school's website is the most up to date and legit.

Sounds like you live in that state. So you should be fine if you're an actual resident.

Yeah, I have lived here for past 7 years and went to high school and college in this state. I was wondering if schools actually go through an intensive background check process and will look at my residency status (ex) date I got my green card)

congratulations buddy... u atleast got ur greencard and can apply to state schools!! i am still on visa.. and have been waiting for the ******* greencard for like 3 years now!! i got no choice besides applying to private schools!!

gluck with apps!

-masksof2004

congratulations buddy... u atleast got ur greencard and can apply to state schools!! i am still on visa.. and have been waiting for the ******* greencard for like 3 years now!! i got no choice besides applying to private schools!!

gluck with apps!

-masksof2004

Thanks. But, which process is holding you back from getting greencard? Have you interviewed yet? If you have interviewed and passed but still waiting for years, I believe you can make an appointment and request a temporary greencard. I read on newspaper that this bypass process has been newly adopted by government. Hope this helps.