STATE schools that take a decent amount of OOSers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm just going through some sites trying to figure out where I should apply to. I'm an Alaskan resident so theres the WWAMI program, but other than that I'm not sure where to apply to. A lot of my friends applied strictly to schools like Cornell, Tufts, Dartmouth, Harvard, Standford, etc claiming they have the best chances there since state schools "don't accept out of staters". I just want to get in somewhere..and I have a very hard time believing that applying to top tier private schools is easier than getting into some of the state schools that are kind to OOSer's..I'm just having trouble figuring out where I should apply to! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio schools have a reputation of being very OOS friendly. You can even gain resident status for tuition purposes after the first year.

Ohio schools have a reputation of being very OOS friendly. You can even gain resident status for tuition purposes after the first year.

Thats good news- I was hoping Ohio State took a good amount of OOSers. I was also looking at schools like Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Vermont, Nevada (friendly to AK's), Oklahoma, Minnesota, etc. I think the key is diversifying my applications so I have both state schools and some lower tier private schools such as Vandy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats good news- I was hoping Ohio State took a good amount of OOSers. I was also looking at schools like Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Vermont, Nevada (friendly to AK's), Oklahoma, Minnesota, etc. I think the key is diversifying my applications so I have both state schools and some lower tier private schools such as Vandy

What have you been smoking??? Vandy has never been a lower tier private school!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Vanderbilt is lower tier???

Yeah bro that place sucks...it's not even HYP. :laugh:

But to answer your question seriously...Virginia schools are pretty friendly to OOSers (EVMS, VCU, UVA). Be careful what you say on SDN...comments like that one will get you FLAMED

Oh man... LET's gonna break out the banhammer :D

Nebraska and Arkansas are not OOS friendly unless you have strong ties to the states or super high scores. Arkansas takes 160 students and ~130-135 are IS. State legislation says they have to accept this many each year split evenly between the four legislative districsts. Nebraska sends secondaries after determining ties to the state or strong scores and they still want students from Nebraska. I didn't get a secondary from Nebraska until at the middle of September after being verified in the beginning of August. The only reason I got a secondary was because I graduated high school in Nebraska. Arkansas sends secondaries to everyone.

Stay away from the west coast...CA, OR, WA, bigtime longshots for oos (in-state is hard enough!!)

Edit: Wow, I just read your post again and saw you were from Alaska...oopsies

You still have it pretty tough in CA though.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion- I was referring to the fact Vandy is a bit cheaper than Dartmouth, Yale, Harvard, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm yes, every school that's not on Harvard's level is clearly lower-tier :laugh:

... Oh noes, is Baylor lower-tier as well? :eek::eek::eek:

yes, spurs, i'm sorry to inform you it is. when you interview for residencies, going to baylor will be a major red flag on your application :laugh: it won't cut it for many of the residencies

yes, spurs, i'm sorry to inform you it is. when you interview for residencies, going to baylor will be a major red flag on your application :laugh: it won't cut it for many of the residencies

:( Maybe I'll be able to scrape out an IM or FP residency somewhere in Montana or something...

I agree with the california state schools being hard for OOS. But actually since he has the WWAMI it would be good to apply to UW. Also OHSU is one of the most friendly PUBLIC state schools in the country. 1/3 are oos.

Penn state, ohio schools, Va schools, NY schools, Iowa?? maybe, maryland possibly...

btw vandy isnt low tier, haha...its actually ranked much higher than tufts and dartmouth.

Not too bad when after 4 years all your loans will be repaid.

Good point, and tons of power to anyone who wants to do those residencies. Who knows, maybe I'll wind up deciding that's a sound financial decision for me someday down the road if I want to go into FP or IM. However, I think that everyone would like to think at least going into med school that they will have some options beyond the least competitive residencies when they get done.

South Alabama was friendly to me. I didn't hear anything from Arkansas (was complete in July), so I dropped them last week.

I think the University of Michigan is about 50% out of state. But it is also a "top tier" school, as are, of course, other state schools such as UCSF, U of Washington etc etc, so these may not be the schools that the OP is asking about in his post.

Alas, I do not possess such mighty powers.

However, I will give you my angriest mod faces. Hmph, Vandy lower tier! Imagine that!
:mad:+pissed+:wow::poke::annoyed::nono::sendoff:

Penn state, ohio schools, Va schools, NY schools, Iowa?? maybe, maryland possibly...

btw vandy isnt low tier, haha...its actually ranked much higher than tufts and dartmouth.

Ahhhhh!! I regret ever saying it like that. I love Nashville and Vandy is my dream school. Haha I deserved to be flamed for calling it lower tier :D

To reword my original question...I'm basically asking, as a resident of Alaska, what schools I should apply to if my goal is to get into any U.S. MD school. I'm not trying to aim low but I just want to apply at places that I have a reasonable shot at as an OOSer. I know that WWAMI takes 20 AK students a year to UW, but honestly about 16-17 of those students attend college out of Alaska...so in reality we only have 2-3 students getting into WWAMI from the Univ of Alaska system : \

Penn State for sure. Nearly half of the students are OOS.

Maryland is roughly 80% IS/20% OOS. Better ratio than some, but still not great. They tend to favor OOS students from neighboring-ish states.

iowa seems pretty friendly, typically 30% oos

Ahhhhh!! I regret ever saying it like that. I love Nashville and Vandy is my dream school. Haha I deserved to be flamed for calling it lower tier :D

All the heckling aside, this thread's original question is a good one and a helpful one. I'm from Cali, and I don't even really want to apply to CA schools. The CA attitude is sometimes so competitive it sucks the life out you!

All the heckling aside, this thread's original question is a good one and a helpful one. I'm from Cali, and I don't even really want to apply to CA schools. The CA attitude is sometimes so competitive it sucks the life out you!

Yeah I bet! Its tough for Alaska too...seems like we get maybe 1-2 students into medical a year from Univ Alaska, so the competition is intense here too. Cali is on another level though! LOL

MSAR Data on % OOS for all schools: (sorry for the funky formatting)

School name State private? %OOS
U of Alabama AL pub 10.80
U of S. Alabama AL pub 10.81
U of Arizona AZ pub 1.49
U of Arkansas AR pub 16.77
USC CA pri 26.83
Loma Linda CA pri 43.02
Stanford CA pri 55.81
UC Davis CA pub 1.90
UC Irvine CA pub 2.88
UCLA CA pub 12.43
UCSD CA pub 8.21