State Societies Sponsoring a Resident at the 2005 Mid-Year Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For residents who are interested in being involved politically, please contact Gail Schmidt [[email protected]] to attend the Mid-Year Forum April 7-9th in DC. Program chairs and directors have been asked to let you go without deducting vacation times. Also, programs will work with your state ophthalmology societies to provide funds to send the resident.

I'll be there! ;)

Date: January 31, 2005
To: State Society Presidents
cc: Cindy Bradford, MD - Secretary for State Affairs
Dan Briceland, MD - Associate Secretary for State Affairs

Re: State Societies Sponsoring a Resident at the 2005 Mid-Year Forum

As you will recall, at the 2004 Mid-Year Forum (MYF), we were fortunate to have 14 residents whose participation was sponsored by their respective state ophthalmological society. This pilot effort was led by two Leadership Development Program graduates, Jennifer Smith, MD and Beth Bruening, MD, and with your help we hope to increase the number of residents at the 2005 MYF. I presented this concept this past weekend during the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology (AUPO) meeting with a positive reception from department chairs and training program directors.

The $150 MYF registration fee is waived for residents so this would entail assisting a resident with travel and housing. This effort benefits all state societies whether the residents remain in their state of training or move to another state as we are working to engage and train the future foot soldiers for your societies.

An example of the positive outcome of this effort:
Andrew Doan, MD - PGY-4, University of Iowa
After attending the Mid-Year Forum in 2004, I have more respect for the Academy and state ophthalmological societies. These organizations are fighting for our future as ophthalmologists and for our patients. My goal is to pass on what I learned so that medical students and residents interested in ophthalmology can become more involved. As residents, we need to prepare ourselves intellectually, surgically, and politically. The political process is crucial in preserving a high standard of care for our patients by fighting optometric surgery scope expansion across the country.

We encourage each state society to join in this effort. Please contact Gail Schmidt with the name of the resident(s) your state society plans to sponsor and she will ensure that he/she receives complimentary registration.

cc: Presidents-Elect
Councilors
Alternate Councilors
Executive Directors
Secretariat for State Affairs

Members don't see this ad.

Must it be a resident... I am a 4th year medical student and would love to get involved in this.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I2I said:
Must it be a resident... I am a 4th year medical student and would love to get involved in this.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Are you going into ophthalmology?

E-mail Gail ([email protected]) and tell her you heard about this from Andrew Doan. Ask if the AAO will waive your registration fee. You'll have to fund your trip to the Academy, unless you've matched and will be a future resident. Then the state societies should fund you.