Stats and should I continue premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123456789gl

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am an Asian Female (ORM) who is debating whether to continue the premed track. So far I have finished stats, chem 1, calc 1, psych, physics 1, cell bio, and organismal bio. I study at a liberal arts college and I still have 5 more premed courses to take before I am done (Planning to major in bio). Currently, I have a 3.5 gpa cum. Should I continue or give up and do finance instead? The thought of orgo 1/2 and biochem scares the daylights out of me lol.

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 is a perfectly acceptable cGPA.

What's your science GPA? What did you get in chem, psych, physics, etc.? That's more important than your cumulative.

Either way 3.5 with classes to go is a fine place to be.

Hey everyone.

I am an Asian Female (ORM) who is debating whether to continue the premed track. So far I have finished stats, chem 1, calc 1, psych, physics 1, cell bio, and organismal bio. I study at a liberal arts college and I still have 5 more premed courses to take before I am done (Planning to major in bio). Currently, I have a 3.5 gpa cum. Should I continue or give up and do finance instead? The thought of orgo 1/2 and biochem scares the daylights out of me lol.
At this rate, rule out Harvard/Stanford class schools, but getting into a med school is still viable.

What does your heart tell you?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.5 won't keep you out as an Asian ORM.

Source: Am an Asian ORM with a 3.5 and I am starting at an MD school this fall.

Reactions: 1 user
You still have plenty of time to improve that GPA and do well on the MCAT. So if you really feel like being a doctor is your dream, go for it. You can always do a finance minor alongside pre-med courses and switch later on if you so desire.

Also depends on your clinical and non+clinical experiences.

I don’t know about others, but in my experience I have lots of Asian pre-med friends with great applications (73+ LizzyM and great EC”s) but still with no A‘s. As you have seen On this forum, admisisons cycle is getting more selective each year.

With that being said, can you get an A? Possibly, but you might wanna target your state schools (and might have to go through few reapplication cycles). However, All you need is 1 A to lay the groundwork for becoming an excellent doctor.