General Admissions & OTCAS Stats Check! Am I Good Enough?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsoftball9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help people! Super self conscious about my stats :/

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE:
143 Verbal
143 Quantitative
3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Division 1 softball, Greek National Softball Team, Works as a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercises in clients over 60, works as an ABA therapist with children with autism, volunteers weekly at the animal shelter cleaning cages, feeds homeless monthly in Chicago

Volunteer: 100 Outpatient, 20 inpatient, 10 pedatric

Applying: West Coast University, Touro College, Carroll University, Springfield College, University of the Sciences, Midwestern (AZ and IL), Allen College-Unitypoint Health, and Cox College

Acceptances:
Rejections: West Coast University, Touro College ):
Interviews: West Coast University

Obviously schools that don't require a GRE since mine is so low

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let a couple of early r's make you doubt yourself! It's so early in the cycle...I had a friend apply 2 yrs ago who had her application rejected 7 times before she received an acceptance, so keep your chin up!

Did you apply to Touro College or Touro University in Henderson, Nevada?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let a couple of early r's make you doubt yourself! It's so early in the cycle...I had a friend apply 2 yrs ago who had her application rejected 7 times before she received an acceptance, so keep your chin up!
I'm having so much trouble staying confident.....I'm praying that a school will accept me this cycle. I am waitlisted at Midwestern AZ so we will see....

Reactions: 1 user
Send an application to D'Youville and Bay Path. They are free and both of them look at students holistically. I had similar grades to you and I got in, you're looking good. Also check out MCPHS, that's where I go

Send an application to D'Youville and Bay Path. They are free and both of them look at students holistically. I had similar grades to you and I got in, you're looking good. Also check out MCPHS, that's where I go
Awesome I will look at those schools that's fantastic thank you!!!!

I noticed they have a specific adult vs child psych prereq. If I took Human Development over a Lifespan which covered both would that suffice for both prerequisite grades?

I noticed they have a specific adult vs child psych prereq. If I took Human Development over a Lifespan which covered both would that suffice for both prerequisite grades?

You'd have to email them, but they must have just added this one this year. I just took Lifespan Development but I was good

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay positive! Comparing yourself to others causes unnecessary stress and anxiety. I had similar stats as you last year and was accepted to a few schools :)

Keep your head up! Definitely look at schools that don't just look at your stats and consider all your experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Stay positive! Comparing yourself to others causes unnecessary stress and anxiety. I had similar stats as you last year and was accepted to a few schools :)

Keep your head up! Definitely look at schools that don't just look at your stats and consider all your experiences.
Thank you for your advice! I've been stressing myself out like nuts :/ I hope I get in somewhere

GPA: 3.74
Pre-Req GPA (thus far): 3.8 (taking 2 more pre-reqs currently)
GRE: 151 Math, 148 Verbal, 3.0 writing (I haven't gotten my writing score back for my second test so idk what this one is yet)
40 volunteer hours at a pediatric site
2nd year Special Education Teacher

I am applying to USC, NYU, Columbia, East Carolina, Lenoir Rhyne, Winstom Salem, West Coast University and Hofstra

Hi! We have the same stats! I am too having a hard time staying positive :shrug: Best of luck to you!

hey!! I just got accepted into the OT program at MCPHS in New Hampshire. I know the program is fairly new and I am a little hesitant about it. Do you like the program/curriculum and the professors?

what term for west coast did you apply to?

hey!! I just got accepted into the OT program at MCPHS in New Hampshire. I know the program is fairly new and I am a little hesitant about it. Do you like the program/curriculum and the professors?
Congrats! I'm hoping I'll get my acceptance soon. I've heard great things about the program honestly

No it won't! I had the same question. They told me human development will work for adult psych but I am still required to take child psych!

No it won't! I had the same question. They told me human development will work for adult psych but I am still required to take child psych!
Same I am enrolled in that for spring super excited hahahah

Honestly...I know you're worried about your GRE score, but since it's only the second year they are requiring it...I don't think they'll pay too much attention to that. And even if they do, your extra curricular activities are amazing and I think that is a huge selling point. I also worked as an ABA therapist and I actually wrote about that in my essay for my school and I was accepted. It shows diversity and that you are involved so I 100% think you will get accepted somewhere. Don't give up!!! If you don't get in this cycle, retake the GRE (ugh I know, nobody wants to retake that awful test) and reapply and you're golden. Stay positive :)

Honestly...I know you're worried about your GRE score, but since it's only the second year they are requiring it...I don't think they'll pay too much attention to that. And even if they do, your extra curricular activities are amazing and I think that is a huge selling point. I also worked as an ABA therapist and I actually wrote about that in my essay for my school and I was accepted. It shows diversity and that you are involved so I 100% think you will get accepted somewhere. Don't give up!!! If you don't get in this cycle, retake the GRE (ugh I know, nobody wants to retake that awful test) and reapply and you're golden. Stay positive :)
Thank you so much! I am hoping for a good turn out. I'm awful at standardized testing which clearly shows so hopefully some programs can overlook that

Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out what I should do about OT school. I see some people who applied to the same school as I had, West Coast, and got accepted to other schools which is great!! I have had little success with the programs I've applied to.

Schools: West Coast University, Davenport, MCPHS, Midwestern Glendale, SUNY Downstate, Clarkson, Pacific University, University of Mary, Sacred Heart

Interviews: West Coast and Midwestern AZ (in March)
* I was wait listed for the Midwestern interview

Wait list: West Coast (originally #9, moved up to #2 then the wait list closed)

Rejections: none

I have heard about people already being accepted into MCPHS and Midwestern and their deadlines aren't for a couple of months and I applied to Midwestern in October and MCPHS in early December so it kind of freaks me out how early everything is happening.

CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.3 to 3.6 depending on the school
Volunteer hours: 96.7 pediatric hippotherapy, 85 pediatric sensory-based clinic, 200 pediatric in clinic and in home, 41.5 hand therapy, and going to start observing/volunteering in an outpatient rehab

Extracurriculars: Golden Key Honours Society, Sigma Kappa Sorority, participated in Inclusion Clubhouse Special Needs Prom, going to take a 3D art class (ceramics) in my community to make a portfolio, signed up for a Handwriting without Tears workshop

Work: Build A Bear Workshop (2012-2016), OT administrative assistant (temporary), currently working as a Behavior Therapist for children with Autism leading sessions in the home

I have been feeling deflated about everything and I don't know what to do...

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out why I should do about OT school. I see some people who applied to the same school as I had, West Coast, and got accepted to other schools which is great!! I have had little success with the programs I've applied to.

Schools: West Coast University, Davenport, MCPHS, Midwestern Glendale, SUNY Downstate, Clarkson, Pacific University, University of Mary, Sacred Heart

Interviews: West Coast and Midwestern AZ (in March)
* I was wait listed for the Midwestern interview

Wait list: West Coast (originally #9, moved up to #2 then the wait list closed)

Rejections: none

I have heard about people already being accepted into MCPHS and Midwestern and their deadlines aren't for a couple of months and I applied to Midwestern in October and MCPHS in early December so it kind of freaks me out how early everything is happening.

CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.3 to 3.6 depending on the school
Volunteer hours: 96.7 pediatric hippotherapy, 85 pediatric sensory-based clinic, 200 pediatric in clinic and in home, 41.5 hand therapy, and going to start observing/volunteering in an outpatient rehab

Extracurriculars: Golden Key Honours Society, Sigma Kappa Sorority, participated in Inclusion Clubhouse Special Needs Prom, going to take a 3D art class (ceramics) in my community to make a portfolio, signed up for a Handwriting without Tears workshop

Work: Build A Bear Workshop (2012-2016), OT administrative assistant (temporary), currently working as a Behavior Therapist for children with Autism leading sessions in the home

I have been feeling deflated about everything and I don't know what to do...

Don't freak out, you still have a lot of schools you haven't heard back from! I applied to MCPHS in October and still haven't heard back! Apparently they don't get to most of their applications until January. Do your other schools require interviews?

Don't freak out, you still have a lot of schools you haven't heard back from! I applied to MCPHS in October and still haven't heard back! Apparently they don't get to most of their applications until January. Do your other schools require interviews?

Yeah, they all require interviews. I was looking on the forums and one girl got accepted to MCPHS already. She submitted her application like in August, I believe, and had no interview, but the deadline isn't even until March I believe. I just feel so behind since everything has to be in so early to have a shot. I thought I was early enough applying at the start of December.

Yeah, they all require interviews. I was looking on the forums and one girl got accepted to MCPHS already. She submitted her application like in August, I believe, and had no interview, but the deadline isn't even until March I believe. I just feel so behind since everything has to be in so early to have a shot. I thought I was early enough applying at the start of December.
I got accepted to Allen college and I was beyond impressed with them when I went to interview. Newly accredited, very very very much practice-based and the interview isn't as defensive and academic as I felt the west coast interview was. They want to know YOU.

That's really only true if it's rolling admissions... MCPHS is rolling so that's why some people have already heard back. But for regular admissions, some schools said they don't even look at applications until after the deadline.

So I've finally heard back from a lot of schools. So this is where I'm at:
Applied: West Coast University's OTD, MCPHS, University of Mary, Pacific University, Sacred Heart, Touro University in Nevada, Davenport, SUNY Downstate, Clarkson University

Accepted: University of Mary and Davenport

Waitlist: Touro and MCPHS

Denied: Sacred Heart and Pacific University

Declined my interview: Clarkson (I heard that the program is just trouble)

Coming Interview: West Coast University

Never heard back from SUNY Downstate.. so I'm pretty sure that's a denial.