Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, is there anyone out there yet who put down the deposit for the GEM program at UCD?

Members don't see this ad.

For canadian applicants , this report is just in. http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9714934

Read the article and take careful consideration in going abroad. Cheers

Old news and has lots of misleading information.
Bottom line is that if you ace your mccee, usmle and graduate from a reputable medical school in Ireland, UK or Australia, then you should be okay.
If you choose to get you medical degree from any where else, such as eastern Europe or Africa, then you are wasting money and time.

Mike, its definitely not that simple. I read a stat from the Ministry of Ontario that just over 60% of Residency spots in Ontario go to CSAs. There are easily around 300 students going every year to the UK and Ireland, perhaps a 80 or so to Australia and many hundreds more going to the Caribbean, Poland, Israel and other places.

Ontario has only 80 FM spots around 25 IM spots and miniscule numbers of other IMG spots. All of Canada had 348 spots and honestly only about 250 spots are likely available to most IMGs as a good chunk are in Quebec, where you need French and a ridiculous number of hoops to jump through, and Alberta, where you now need to take 2 years off living in Alberta to qualify for their spots (this benefits true IMGs much more than CSAs).

We are talking about perhaps 800 students every year going for 150 spots (since 40% are taken up by true IMGs). Even if we said only 450 students are competitive, we are still looking at a match rate of 33%? Let alone choosing a competitive specialty.

I know Irish stats show 70% (for both US and Canada), but 4-6 years from now things will change as the number of people going abroad is really going up dramatically as the number of high school grads grows every year and med school spots in Canada are stagnating. Bottom line:

No one should ever go abroad without preparing to do residency in the US or in the country they did med school.

High schoolers - I really don't recommend you head straight abroad. It sounds very enticing, but its not only expensive, its also very difficult, there are tons of hoops to jump through to match back and you have very little choice or say in where you end up. You are also treated like a second class citizen once you become a doctor. Don't believe that just because you are at a highly ranked school on the world rankings that you still won't be labelled as a IMG for the rest of your life. People will resent you for what is in their opinion "taking the easy way out" (even though its most definitely not an easy route). A common belief is that those high schoolers who go abroad are rich and take an option not available to all Canadians to fast track medicine. Most high schoolers who go abroad were top of their class in high school but racked with fear of not getting into medicine in Canada. Your chances are much better staying in Canada because there are options in the US as well as Canada.

University grads - Try Canada and the US MD and DO schools before going abroad. The stigma of going abroad is always there, the loopholes are ever present. Only come abroad if being a doctor is all that you've ever wanted to be and you are willing to work your butt off and you've exhausted all options at home.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mike, its definitely not that simple. I read a stat from the Ministry of Ontario that just over 60% of Residency spots in Ontario go to CSAs. There are easily around 300 students going every year to the UK and Ireland, perhaps a 80 or so to Australia and many hundreds more going to the Caribbean, Poland, Israel and other places.

Ontario has only 80 FM spots around 25 IM spots and miniscule numbers of other IMG spots. All of Canada had 348 spots and honestly only about 250 spots are likely available to most IMGs as a good chunk are in Quebec, where you need French and a ridiculous number of hoops to jump through, and Alberta, where you now need to take 2 years off living in Alberta to qualify for their spots (this benefits true IMGs much more than CSAs).

We are talking about perhaps 800 students every year going for 150 spots (since 40% are taken up by true IMGs). Even if we said only 450 students are competitive, we are still looking at a match rate of 33%? Let alone choosing a competitive specialty.

I know Irish stats show 70% (for both US and Canada), but 4-6 years from now things will change as the number of people going abroad is really going up dramatically as the number of high school grads grows every year and med school spots in Canada are stagnating. Bottom line:

No one should ever go abroad without preparing to do residency in the US or in the country they did med school.

High schoolers - I really don't recommend you head straight abroad. It sounds very enticing, but its not only expensive, its also very difficult, there are tons of hoops to jump through to match back and you have very little choice or say in where you end up. You are also treated like a second class citizen once you become a doctor. Don't believe that just because you are at a highly ranked school on the world rankings that you still won't be labelled as a IMG for the rest of your life. People will resent you for what is in their opinion "taking the easy way out" (even though its most definitely not an easy route). A common belief is that those high schoolers who go abroad are rich and take an option not available to all Canadians to fast track medicine. Most high schoolers who go abroad were top of their class in high school but racked with fear of not getting into medicine in Canada. Your chances are much better staying in Canada because there are options in the US as well as Canada.

University grads - Try Canada and the US MD and DO schools before going abroad. The stigma of going abroad is always there, the loopholes are ever present. Only come abroad if being a doctor is all that you've ever wanted to be and you are willing to work your butt off and you've exhausted all options at home.

Medstart, would you say that going to Ireland is better than going to the Caribbean for medical school? For me, I don't care where I end up practicing - North America or Ireland, it doesn't matter.

MedStart, I think your logic is quite on the pessimist side:
1. Canada has closed the immigration for doctors, hence the number of true immigrant IMG is dwindling.
2. Without prejudice, a CSA is a born and raised Canadian, who has English as his first language, was educated in Canada then in a first world English speaking country at a reputable medical school. On the abstract basis on competency, any CSA will be chosen over a real IMG who was educated in obscure medical school and barely speaks English.
3. I have no problem having my family medicine residency in Ireland and then come back to Canada and practice without going mccee or CARMS. This is another option for me.

1. Canada has closed the immigration for doctors, hence the number of true immigrant IMG is dwindling.
2. Without prejudice, a CSA is a born and raised Canadian, who has English as his first language, was educated in Canada then in a first world English speaking country at a reputable medical school. On the abstract basis on competency, any CSA will be chosen over a real IMG who was educated in obscure medical school and barely speaks English.
3. I have no problem having my family medicine residency in Ireland and then come back to Canada and practice without going mccee or CARMS. This is another option for me.[/QUOT

hi MikeGir, do you have European citizenship; how can Canadians get residency in Ireland after finishing their med studies there?

I do not have European Citizenship, but every years there are always extra spots that you can apply for. I have not heard of a Canadian who wanted to do residency in Ireland and could not.

3. I have no problem having my family medicine residency in Ireland and then come back to Canada and practice without going mccee or CARMS. This is another option for me.

Ok I can see the logic for family medicine, and if 1. is true then that is good news for CSAs.

I used to be much in support of studying medicine abroad but I definitely am noticing more activity regarding Canadians thinking of studying abroad recently and it has begun to worry me that too many are going abroad all with the same hopes and expectations and I am worried that their hopes and expectations won't be met. My point still stands that you should not go abroad unless you are willing to do residency in your country of med school graduation or the US. If you match to Canada, don't expect to have the luxury of choosing the school you are placed at either.

Mike, I don't think you really disagreed with much of what I said. I agree with your 2. and this is what I heard and believed until I read the ministry report that said nearly half of matched IMGs were true IMGs rather than CSAs. I had heard anecdotally that the vast majority of matched IMGs were actually CSAs but clearly this is not true for Ontario and most definitely isn't true in Quebec or Alberta where CSAs are forced to stay years before applying to match.

If only half of the spots actually end up going to IMGs, even if you took the number of students graduating from Ireland, I don't even think you would have enough spots for everyone or even 80%.

Medstart, would you say that going to Ireland is better than going to the Caribbean for medical school? For me, I don't care where I end up practicing - North America or Ireland, it doesn't matter.

I would definitely say so. In Canada, Ireland is respected more than the Caribbean and your chances are better at matching coming from Ireland than from the Caribbean.

Hey guys! I am new to this forum. I am from Vancouver, BC, and I have applied to RCSI's 5-year medical program. I have not yet heard back from them - no interview and no rejection. Has anyone else that applied to the 5 year program received an interview? Does anyone know if/when RCSI will be sending out second round offers?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from rcsu for 5 yr program? Im a international student.

Hey guys! I am new to this forum. I am from Vancouver, BC, and I have applied to RCSI's 5-year medical program. I have not yet heard back from them - no interview and no rejection. Has anyone else that applied to the 5 year program received an interview? Does anyone know if/when RCSI will be sending out second round offers?
they were supposed to be sending out 2nd round offers after easter. and it's been a week. so idk! i'm in the same situation as you, applied to the 5year program and haven't heard anything at all. nor from trinity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI - I got my last rejection sometime mid-July (even though I'd already accepted Limerick last year)

Admissions are ongoing.

Until you actually receive a rejection letter, you're still in the running for the schools you've applied to.

I talked to ABP last night and they said they hadn't gotten limerick decisions yet. They don't send them in the mail all the way from Ireland do they?

Limerick does send acceptances via mail, but ABP will email you all the instant UL sends them a list of accepted applicants(mail will come a week or 2 later). I'd expect you to hear back if you have an acceptance in the next few days (assuming they follow the same timeline as last year).

They released the offers last year around 3 PM on the Tuesday following the interviews (It was my last night shift of my block and I stayed away from a computer the whole day once my shift ended so I wouldn't go nuts at home waiting. Memorable times)

Remember, ABP is in California, so there is a time delay for the Central / East Coasters for business hours.

I would expect (based on last year's timeline) that you will hear between today and Thursday for acceptances via email, but don't take it as gospel.

The paperwork then follows in the mail like Shweddies said. But always email first.

Can one tell before opening the email whether it is an acceptance? (I'm getting a little cray right now haha)

Unless you're psychic, no.

If you get an email, open it and read it.

If you haven't received an email, go out and keep busy! Seriously. It's for the best.

We don't know when they are sent out!

No. 3 PM Eastern Standard Time (Ontario). Which is noon California time.

Again. This was last year.

Don't take it as gospel. We don't know how it's going to operate this year. They should have told you at the Q&A session as long as someone asked.

Please don't drive yourself nuts about it. Waiting sucks, but don't waste your time paralyzed sitting for a decision that you can't help!

Haha this is a crazy time! Wish computers were inaccessible at my work.
i think they are a few hours behind ontario time. I'm in Ireland now so I'll say ontario time is roughly 8ish so minus a few hours or so...I'd say around 12pm nowadays at ABP, but that's just a guess. People also receive offers on different days. Sassa got hers a day before mine and my roommate got it even earlier...you will know by the end of the week!

Last edited:
@shweddies people only posted on here the day I got my acceptance as well.

Your roommate must have not frequented SDN ;)

So UL doesn't send the letters via normal mail from Ireland, they send them through email? Apparently they just got back today, so regular mail would take a week!

ABP will send an email first.

They send a letter at the same time, which will take a week or so to reach you if you've been successful.

Everything is done by ABP.

Im confused because someone from ABP said today the interviewers got back to Ireland, and they will provide ABP with a letter which they will then send to us, and I'm assuming by email first. I wonder whether the interviewers gave the letters to ABP before they left for Ireland, or whether they are sending them from there.

They scan the letter in the email .... it gets sent to you ... you can use that to start applying for LOCs.

If it takes them a week to prepare the letter and scan it to ABP, it will take a week for you to receive an email - correct.

If it takes them a day to prepare the letter and scan it to ABP, it will take a day for you to receive an email.

I really don't know how many more times I can say the same thing lol

As I said before, chill :) Because no amount of stressing or calling or obsessing is going to make anything go faster or go in favour.

Keep busy and keep living your life. People have been through it and survived ;)

Hello, I hoping to apply to the five year program and/or six year programs at NUI Galway and UC Cork. I am a US student who has completed three years of undergrad work with a 3.8 gpa in health science classes. I have no intent of getting a bachelors at this time so I am only interested in the five and six year programs.
I am not really interested in living in Dublin but if my chances of getting in there are higher I would consider it. Also I would like to do my intern year in Ireland and remain on a work visa instead of seeking a residency in the US.
So does anyone with similar grades get into the five or six year programs?
For those of you who. Got into the five or six year programs at Galway or Cork what wee your grades and references like? I have been out of school for a while so I'm not sure if I will have the greatest reference letters.
Thanks

Congrats Charlotte!

Wonder when TCD and NUIG are going to send out more letters...

Reactions: 1 users
no.

any recent acceptances to RCSI, NUIG, or TCD??

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I applied to RCSI's 5 year program and I have not received an interview nor a rejection. My file is still "open for consideration". Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I applied to RCSI's 5 year program and I have not received an interview nor a rejection. My file is still "open for consideration". Anyone else in the same boat?
yes. it's a horrible boat :(

Me too

Anyone got rejected rcsi and got offer frm PMC rcsi for med and is going ?

Ugh this wait is brutal. It literally keeps me up at night.

Any news from anyone about anything? I just want to know that there is at least some activity. I'm waiting on a response from TCD and NUIG.

Ugh this wait is brutal. It literally keeps me up at night.

Any news from anyone about anything? I just want to know that there is at least some activity. I'm waiting on a response from TCD and NUIG.
im waiting on them as well, and RCSI-MUB, and the last I heard - which was a few days ago bc i bugged them again - is that 2nd round offers have been sent for NUIG :( nothing for TCD yet. my app is still open for consideration to both schools though.

I was told the same. My application is open still for NUIG and TCD (5 Year). Still waiting, but I took the MCAT recently. I'm beginning to apply to US schools now. I guess Ireland doesn't want me. It's their loss.

@Steele thats good news, I hope you get in to a US med school. As you said "it's their loss"

My file is still open in all schools too.

Best of luck..