STATS PAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone accepted Dental school with low stat?

The above stats are all super!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
This is my first time ever posting here, but I like the boards a lot and read them frequently. This is my question: I really want to go to dental school but I have crappy grades. I go to Hamilton College, and basically, I screwed around freshman year (pledging and sports). My freshman year gpa was a 77. Hamilton doesn't do grades out of 4.0 so I dont know what it would be. My sophomore year, I worked really hard and got an 88 overall gpa. I am going into my junior year and my total gpa is an 83.1. My science gpa is about a 77 because I got a D in orgo and calc 1 due to screwing around. What can I do to improve my chances of getting in to school? I'm planinng to shadow a dentist in town this summer, and I still have to take orgo 2. I was hoping that if I did well in orgo 2 maybe admissions committees would disregard my bad grade in orgo 1. Any ideas? Please help me out, I'm afraid I've blown my chances. Thanks.
Jessica

Members don't see this ad :)
JCR,

Did you ever consider grade replacing O-chem I? That is an option, and it may help you since O-chem is on the DAT. If you have low grades, you have to make up for it in every other aspect of your application. Make sure you have exposure to the dental field, get involved in community service if you can, write a good personal statement, and do well on the DAT. I think that would be the most important, since it will show that you have the ability to do well. Many schools place the most emphasis on DAT, so study hard! Good luck to you!

Hey thanks hopefully-

I hope you're right... :D

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.79
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.90

DAT: 24 Academic, 25 Science, 23 PAT

(also done research for 2 years and volunteered at dental clinic for a 1.5 years)

Plan to Apply: 2003 - UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, Temple, PENN, Tufts, BU, Harvard, Columbia

Will have AADSAS Submitted: by end of June

I hope to get into UOP or Harvard. UOP is appealing b/c its in california (where i live) and its a 3 year program. But I'm now interested in Harvard b/c a girl i met goes there and says the program is really good there. But I don't know if my stats are good enough to get in. Can someone who interviewed or got into Harvard plz reply stating if i have chance or not?

juan 7677,
Your stats are well above the averages of those accepted at any of the dental schools. Your fate will be determined by the remaining factors that are used by the adcoms to rank applicants. Nevertheless be happy, you are amongst the head the pack on two of the most important criteria.

I don't think I ever saw anyone's post here who got accepted to Harvard. :confused:

dmd2006cd is accepted and attending Harvard, his stats are on page 4 of this thread!

Hope this help those future applicants

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.6
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.5
Graduate GPA. ~3.7 (took only 3 classes)

DAT: 21 Academic, 21 Science, 18(ouch!) PAT

Research: took 2 years off to published my thesis and work on some research projects

Applied: 2002 - UCSF, Upenn, Columbia, Harvard, BU, NYU, Temple

Interview Invites: all except Harvard; didn't go to temple

Rejected: Harvard (excuse me while I get some kleenex)

Accepted: Columbia, UCSF, Upenn, NYU, Tufts(partial Merit Scholarship), BU,

Attending: Columbia

My advice that I can give to you future applicants is that grades are not the most important thing. Focus your time on research or study for the DAT.

Holy Crap! Some of those DAT scores are off the charts.

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5

DAT: Academic 20, Science 20 PAT 18

Applied: USC, UCLA, UOP, UCSF, Harvard, Tufts, Columbia

Interviews Attended: USC, UOP, UCLA, Tufts, Columbia

Rejected: Harvard & UCSF

Waitlisted: UCLA

Accepted: USC, Tufts & Columbia

Attending: USC

Here's the first STATS PAGE thread for 2002 application cycle, more useful info for all you "newbies" pre-dents. Enjoy! :cool:

Undergrad Ed: University of Toronto, St George
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: ~3.3
Science Undergrad. GPA: ~3.2

1st DAT: 18 Academic, 18 Science, 18 PAT, 4 Carving
2nd DAT: 18 Academic, 18 Science, 21 PAT, 16 Carving

Applied: will apply to: columbia, vcu, texas S.A., tufts, SUNY stonybrook, maryland, UNC, Case Western, NYU, BU, Baylor, Howard, NOVA SU, Temple, Creighton, Dalhousie, UBC

AADSAS Submitted: next week

Schools Received AADSAS: nil

Interview Invites: ...
Denied: ...

Withdrew Application: nil

Waitlisted: ...

Accepted: ...

Fruity Trident:

Listen, this is an old STATS page for applicants in the year 2000 cycle. Please find the thread for 2005 entering class STATS PAGE, could someone help him or her out?

Please repost your stats on the 2005 STATS PGAE

Fruity Trident:

Listen, this is an old STATS page for applicants in the year 2000 cycle. Please find the thread for 2005 entering class STATS PAGE, could someone help him or her out?

Please repost your stats on the 2005 STATS PGAE

Hi come back to SDN!!!

Tell us about your journey!!

Please!

Undergrad Ed: University of Florida
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.79
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.68

DAT: 19 Academic, 20 Science, 19 PAT (taken 7/18/14)

Applied: 2014 - NYU, Tufts, BU, Nova, Lecom, UF, Alabama, Tennessee, UNC, & Ohio State

AADSAS Submitted: June 3, 2014 via web

Schools Received AADSAS: June 20th, 2014

Interview Invites: None as of August 6th, 2014