Stats Question, need HELP please!!!

iJackTeeth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
216
0
0
  1. Rehab Sci Student
John was interviewed at 4 schools, the interview to acceptance percentage at the four schools were 45%, 35%, 70%, and 56%, what is johns chance of getting at least one acceptance to a school?
 

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
1,801
7
151
NJ
  1. Dentist
John was interviewed at 4 schools, the interview to acceptance percentage at the four schools were 45%, 35%, 70%, and 56%, what is johns chance of getting at least one acceptance to a school?
Say the chance was 80% (it probably isn't). That means the chance he was accepted to NONE of the schools is 20%. So we want to solve for the chances he wasn't accepted anywhere and then figure out the chances he got at least 1 acceptance.

P(no acceptance) = 55% * 65% * 30% * 44% (these are the percentages obtained when you do (100 - x) to all four percentages above - they represent the percentage of not getting accepted after an interview)

P(no acceptance) = (0.55)(0.65)(0.30)(0.44) = 0.04719
P(no acceptance) = 4.719%
P(acceptance somewhere) = 100 - 4.719 = 95.381%
 

Sublimation

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
574
0
101
  1. Pre-Dental
Say the chance was 80% (it probably isn't). That means the chance he was accepted to NONE of the schools is 20%. So we want to solve for the chances he wasn't accepted anywhere and then figure out the chances he got at least 1 acceptance.

P(no acceptance) = 55% * 65% * 30% * 44% (these are the percentages obtained when you do (100 - x) to all four percentages above - they represent the percentage of not getting accepted after an interview)

P(no acceptance) = (0.55)(0.65)(0.30)(0.44) = 0.04719
P(no acceptance) = 4.719%
P(acceptance somewhere) = 100 - 4.719 = 95.381%

oooohhhh,:idea: now that makes more sense. thanks.
 
About the Ads

IWantSmile

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
121
0
0
  1. Dental Student
Say the chance was 80% (it probably isn't). That means the chance he was accepted to NONE of the schools is 20%. So we want to solve for the chances he wasn't accepted anywhere and then figure out the chances he got at least 1 acceptance.

P(no acceptance) = 55% * 65% * 30% * 44% (these are the percentages obtained when you do (100 - x) to all four percentages above - they represent the percentage of not getting accepted after an interview)

P(no acceptance) = (0.55)(0.65)(0.30)(0.44) = 0.04719
P(no acceptance) = 4.719%
P(acceptance somewhere) = 100 - 4.719 = 95.381%

It makes so much sense when you explain in this. :rolleyes:
 
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.