Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When med schools look at your app are they looking at your sgpa or your cumulative gpa? If I had a sgpa of 3.55 and a cgpa of 3.67 is that considered good? For CA med schools? With a 30 mcat

Members don't see this ad.

When med schools look at your app are they looking at your sgpa or your cumulative gpa? If I had a sgpa of 3.55 and a cgpa of 3.67 is that considered good? For CA med schools? With a 30 mcat

They look at both the cGPA and the sGPA. Most schools probably put more emphasis on the sGPA because the grades earned in those classes tend to be more similar to classes that you will eventually take in medical school. A 3.55 for a sGPA is on the low end of ok for many schools, but probably too low for California schools. A 30 MCAT is a decent score for many schools, but not for california schools. To stay in California you really should be shooting for a 33 minimum.

if you visit the websites for many of the CA medical schools, they will provide statistics on matriculated students.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you visit the websites for many of the CA medical schools, they will provide statistics on matriculated students.

By the way your location description perfectly describes this scenario! That's the best advice anyone could give a CA applicant! :)

They look at both the cGPA and the sGPA. Most schools probably put more emphasis on the sGPA because the grades earned in those classes tend to be more similar to classes that you will eventually take in medical school. A 3.55 for a sGPA is on the low end of ok for many schools, but probably too low for California schools. A 30 MCAT is a decent score for many schools, but not for california schools. To stay in California you really should be shooting for a 33 minimum.

Agreed. California is quite difficult to stay in for med school...to give you perspective, i had quite a few friends who had around 3.7, 35 stats and only 4/20 are staying there for school. I think CA is the largest exporter of medical students in the country but don't quote me on that. It's all good though, getting back to CA for residency is not AS hard as getting into medical school there. The way I reason it, it's like a mini vacation and yes, there is an awesome world outside of cali.

Just being realistic, but your stats aren't great for cali unless you are a minority. Work hard and come back later!

Agreed. California is quite difficult to stay in for med school...to give you perspective, i had quite a few friends who had around 3.7, 35 stats and only 4/20 are staying there for school. I think CA is the largest exporter of medical students in the country but don't quote me on that. It's all good though, getting back to CA for residency is not AS hard as getting into medical school there. The way I reason it, it's like a mini vacation and yes, there is an awesome world outside of cali.

Just being realistic, but your stats aren't great for cali unless you are a minority. Work hard and come back later!

how about schools outside of cali? Do I have a good shot at any med school(MD) in the US?