Stay at home moms, what's your story? Any of you been admitted to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had too much wine and I am so discouraged as a reapplicant that I'm coming out of lurking to post.

I think not having any paid employment for 10+ years is such a red mark on my app. I got no love from my state school last round, and I've never felt so inferior in my life, despite the service I (and many other homemakers) contribute to family-centric activities and the community in general. I'm feeling like as soon as my "profession" is found out, I'm just disregarded and judged. I mostly don't care, except for this magnificent, mighty gate that is med school admissions. Will I ever cross that threshold? Maybe my career (or lack thereof) is like a chain, holding me back.

Members don't see this ad.

How many programs did you apply to? If you just applied to your state school, then I can think you can guess what the problem is.

Reactions: 1 user
Oof a call out right off the bat.
But I deserved that :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
And it's good perspective. Thank you, Smalls

Not meant to be a call out. But looking at your post history it actually looks like you only applied to one school.

I think you are either underestimating the competitiveness of medical school admissions or are naive to how the process works. As a nontraditional applicant out of school for 10 years, even if you have nearly perfect grades/test scores, you need to apply to dozens of programs all across the country to have a realistic shot at an acceptance.

I understand that you may have responsibilities at home, etc, but this profession is not accommodating to that and it requires sacrifices to be made such as living away from your family for some time. This has to be something you accept if you are serious about becoming a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
@stayathomemom You should post your GPA's/MCAT/EC's & School list here. Letting your frustrations out is a great place to start (wine is an even better place) but lets move to second-order thinking and find out what went wrong.

I was a stay at home mom for five years before going back for a year of prereqs. V strong grades and MCAT, strong volunteer/service/teaching even during the SAHM years, got admitted for early decision. That was 10 years ago now though, maybe things change.

Reactions: 2 users
Given your stats, with a LM score of 76, one would’ve thought that would be sufficient for an II in most state programs except for perhaps a few of the most selective ones. That being said, a lack of II could indicate that the admissions team felt after reviewing your written application that A. You were too strong of an applicant that historically would matriculate elsewhere so don’t use a spot or B. There was something that caused a pause in your written application. How were your personal statements?

Sorry to hear it didn't work out this cycle, @stayathomemom. I was really rooting for you! Have you contacted OHSU for feedback on your application? State schools are often willing to do this for unsuccessful applicants seeking to reapply.

Are you willing to apply to more programs this go around? You are an absolutely stellar applicant, and I know you'll have lots of success if you broaden your school list.

I was a stay at home mom for five years before going back for a year of prereqs. V strong grades and MCAT, strong volunteer/service/teaching even during the SAHM years, got admitted for early decision. That was 10 years ago now though, maybe things change.
Thanks for that! It's encouraging to know that others have gone before you.
Given your stats, with a LM score of 76, one would’ve thought that would be sufficient for an II in most state programs except for perhaps a few of the most selective ones. That being said, a lack of II could indicate that the admissions team felt after reviewing your written application that A. You were too strong of an applicant that historically would matriculate elsewhere so don’t use a spot or B. There was something that caused a pause in your written application. How were your personal statements?
If I sent you my personal statement from last year, could you give it a quick read through and give me your gut reaction?
Sorry to hear it didn't work out this cycle, @stayathomemom. I was really rooting for you! Have you contacted OHSU for feedback on your application? State schools are often willing to do this for unsuccessful applicants seeking to reapply.

Are you willing to apply to more programs this go around? You are an absolutely stellar applicant, and I know you'll have lots of success if you broaden your school list.
I haven't, but thanks for suggesting it. Part of the silver lining of all of this is my realization that I need to speak up for myself, and advocate for myself. I can't go through this process thinking, "Oh, that person is probably too busy. I don't want to bother them." Or I'll never get anywhere.

Thanks for that! It's encouraging to know that others have gone before you.

If I sent you my personal statement from last year, could you give it a quick read through and give me your gut reaction?

I haven't, but thanks for suggesting it. Part of the silver lining of all of this is my realization that I need to speak up for myself, and advocate for myself. I can't go through this process thinking, "Oh, that person is probably too busy. I don't want to bother them." Or I'll never get anywhere.
Sure, I can take a look.

Small Cell Carcinoma said:
Not meant to be a call out. But looking at your post history it actually looks like you only applied to one school.

I think you are either underestimating the competitiveness of medical school admissions or are naive to how the process works. As a nontraditional applicant out of school for 10 years, even if you have nearly perfect grades/test scores, you need to apply to dozens of programs all across the country to have a realistic shot at an acceptance.

I understand that you may have responsibilities at home, etc, but this profession is not accommodating to that and it requires sacrifices to be made such as living away from your family for some time. This has to be something you accept if you are serious about becoming a physician.
Well said

I've had too much wine and I am so discouraged as a reapplicant that I'm coming out of lurking to post.

I think not having any paid employment for 10+ years is such a red mark on my app. I got no love from my state school last round, and I've never felt so inferior in my life, despite the service I (and many other homemakers) contribute to family-centric activities and the community in general. I'm feeling like as soon as my "profession" is found out, I'm just disregarded and judged. I mostly don't care, except for this magnificent, mighty gate that is med school admissions. Will I ever cross that threshold? Maybe my career (or lack thereof) is like a chain, holding me back.
I'm a parent of two kids, so being a parent is understandable.

That said, OK, you have this blank space for ten years on your app. What have you done since then? Do you have the stats for med school? [EDIT: apparently you do] The requisite ECs?

IF it's now time to get them You can weave your story of being a mom into your PS as a way of explain what you did with your time.

And oh yes, you are being judged. It's our job to judge you. We Adcoms are the last thing between you and patients. Now, with that out of the way, you're what,in your 30s? If so, some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated a stellar one at age 50 and she's now an attending in CA.

If you truly wish to be a be doctor, you're going to have to apply to more schools. Having a "[state school] or bust" mentality is no way to become a doctor.