Stay away from orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rumor is that the Corp I work for is jumping on the aligner bandwagen. Not happy about it. At least with braces I have complete control. Never felt like I had any control with aligners. Great treatment .... not. Just hand the aligners out. Do some IPR and hope for the best. Exactly what does the orthodontist do? Not much with aligners. I foresee some crappy results.

What will be interesting is if Corp decides to get a massive discount from Align Tech to use their aligners ..... or will they manufacturer their own. Not a fan of Align Tech. They are indeed a monopoly and it woud be best for everyone if they had a true competitor.
 
Rumor is that the Corp I work for is jumping on the aligner bandwagen. Not happy about it. At least with braces I have complete control. Never felt like I had any control with aligners. Great treatment .... not. Just hand the aligners out. Do some IPR and hope for the best. Exactly what does the orthodontist do? Not much with aligners. I foresee some crappy results.

What will be interesting is if Corp decides to get a massive discount from Align Tech to use their aligners ..... or will they manufacturer their own. Not a fan of Align Tech. They are indeed a monopoly and it woud be best for everyone if they had a true competitor.
time to go rural... just charter a private jet or heli or something a couple of days a month
 
With all this doom and gloom with orthodontics in the US, is it better to practice orthodontics in another country where US dentists can obtain dental licenses without much hassle? eg Dubai, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, Singapore, etc....
 
With all this doom and gloom with orthodontics in the US, is it better to practice orthodontics in another country where US dentists can obtain dental licenses without much hassle? eg Dubai, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, Singapore, etc....

You should still be able to find full time work as an ortho at a minimum of $1000 per day. That’s about $250,000 per year minimum as an associate. Obviously as an owner you have the potential to make more, but the risk to make less. Bottom line, if you limit your student loans or come out with none orthodontics in the US is still a gratifying career. You may not be making $500,000 like previous guys, but you should still be able to make $250,000-$300,000 doing something you love. Now if you rack up $500,000 in student debt to get there you may have financial issues in dealing with that.