Stay with CVS or move to Target side?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A while back, I asked my super about a transfer closer to Southern California, he said he's check around. Fast forward a few months, I have 2 viable options, but not sure which one to take:

50/50 staff/floater position on Target side.
Pros:
  • It would be on Target side, which just seems like a better (surface) environment. Can anyone more familiar with the Target side comment though? Is there much difference?
  • It would be in a better location (Ventura County).
Cons:
  • The district leader that my super put me in touch with was notoriously difficult to get a hold of; more than once, he said "I'll get in touch with you on this day" or "let's chat at this time", and then turned out to be unreachable. This doesn't seem like a good first impression.
  • Details were a bit scant, but he said I'd get roughly 25-30 hours as staff pharmacist, and make up the rest floating. His area ranges from San Fernando Valley to Santa Maria, roughly a 2-3 hour area. While I do like floating from time to time (less responsibility compared to staff), Southern CA = tons of traffic... I could see this getting old real fast. Plus, it could theoretically mean I'd get less than 40 hours.
  • The pay was never mentioned, but I assume it would be a pay cut.
  • District leader said he'd wanna meet for formal interview, speak to my current super some more, etc... judging from how long it took to actually get a hold of him (several weeks), I feel like this could easily drag on...

Full-time Staff position on CVS side.
Pros:
  • District leader was very quick to get back to me, seemed very helpful. Definitely a good sign.
  • Full-time 40-hour position.
  • Pay is very comparable to my current pay (within $2/hr for new incoming Rph, and I'm not new, so....)
  • District leader said I could start right away (within a month).
Cons:
  • Area is in Santa Maria; Technically the store is in a nice neighborhood south of the city, but as for the city itself, I've heard mixed things (boring, problems with crime in certain locations, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A while back, I asked by super about a transfer closer to Southern California, he said he's check around. Fast forward a few months, I have 2 viable options, but not sure which one to take:

Pros:
  • It would be on Target side, which just seems like a better (surface) environment. Can anyone more familiar with the Target side comment though? Is there much difference?
Cons:
  • The district leader that my super put me in touch with was notoriously difficult to get a hold of; more than once, he said "I'll get in touch with you on this day" or "let's chat at this time", and then turned out to be unreachable. This doesn't seem like a good first impression.
  • Details were a bit scant, but he said I'd get roughly 25-30 hours as staff pharmacist, and make up the rest floating. His area ranges from San Fernando Valley to Santa Maria, roughly a 2-3 hour area. While I do like floating from time to time (less responsibility compared to staff), Southern CA = tons of traffic... I could see this getting old real fast. Plus, it could theoretically mean I'd get less than 40 hours.
  • District leader said he'd wanna meet for formal interview, speak to my current super some more, etc... judging from how long it took to actually get a hold of him (several weeks), I feel like this could easily drag on...

Pros:
  • District leader was very quick to get back to me, seemed very helpful. Definitely a good sign.
  • Pay is very comparable to my current pay (within $2/hr for new incoming Rph, and I'm not new, so....)
Cons:
  • Area is in Santa Maria; Technically the store is in a nice neighborhood south of the city, but as for the city itself, I've heard mixed things (boring, problems with crime in certain locations, etc).
The CVS store job sounds more secure to me.

A while back, I asked my super about a transfer closer to Southern California, he said he's check around. Fast forward a few months, I have 2 viable options, but not sure which one to take:

Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
Cons:
Rx-BPs are notoriously stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really not close hye345.

You take the guaranteed 40 hours, non-float, CVS.

Work for a year or so, and continue to try to get closer to LA County.

Reactions: 1 user

Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
Cons:

I would say neither but if I had to choose, I'd go with CVS.

I've worked at target/cvs... and it's actually not that much better. Yes, there is no drive through and type of people you would deal with may be abit better too but considering the same cvs policies would apply such as tech hours and the metrics...you will end up running the entire pharmacy by yourself with no tech help (even during the flu season). Especially when you float. I floated to a store that had ONE tech, ONE! Not one tech that day. ONE tech for the entire pharmacy. She would come in for like 3-4 hours a day to help out and go to another stand alone cvs to make up for the hours she needed. I ended up giving 10 flu shots that day... filled close to 150 scripts and had to put up the orders... ALL BY MYSELF. Hence, my passionate burning visceral hate for cvs... lol

Full time staff no contest.

And if things are dragging on before you go onboard, how do you think things will be once you’re reporting to them?

I've worked at target/cvs... and it's actually not that much better. Yes, there is no drive through and type of people you would deal with may be abit better too but considering the same cvs policies would apply such as tech hours and the metrics...you will end up running the entire pharmacy by yourself with no tech help (even during the flu season). Especially when you float. I floated to a store that had ONE tech, ONE! Not one tech that day. ONE tech for the entire pharmacy. She would come in for like 3-4 hours a day to help out and go to another stand alone cvs to make up for the hours she needed. I ended up giving 10 flu shots that day... filled close to 150 scripts and had to put up the orders... ALL BY MYSELF. Hence, my passionate burning visceral hate for cvs... lol
There seems to be a large disparity in tech hours per store, I've noticed. My store always has at least 3 (will probably have 4 including me) every day. We do around 2500 minimum a week I think.

It's really not close hye345.

You take the guaranteed 40 hours, non-float, CVS.

Work for a year or so, and continue to try to get closer to LA County.

I'm leaning towards this... I don't even wanna live in LA county, way too crowded for me, but I don't wanna take a position just to relocate again in a few years. Ventura County and Santa Barbara area seem like safe bets to set down roots, but Santa Maria seems to have a very agricultural vibe going, makes me nervous about how easy it will be to meet like-minded people.

Oh... I figured that being inside target was a major positive... at least a bigger break-room, and can do major shopping afterwards :cool:

Doing 150 scripts with essentially half a tech... I guess if the patients left you alone at exactly the right times, and the phones are gentle, and you literally never stop moving, its possible lol.

Because the core CVS position is (allegedly) hard to staff, I imagine they would be more lenient with tech hours... that's how it is at my current location up north.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards this... I don't even wanna live in LA county, way too crowded for me, but I don't wanna take a position just to relocate again in a few years. Ventura County and Santa Barbara area seem like safe bets to set down roots, but Santa Maria seems to have a very agricultural vibe going, makes me nervous about how easy it will be to meet like-minded people.

What about living in San Luis Obsipo. I'm not from California, but I've heard good things about that city.

Sorry, that's "Rx supervisor" in Target-speak.
A big part of why target's pharmacy division failed was the lack of effective leadership.

Oh... figured they would have been phased out by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you've read up on demographics and nicer parts of Santa Maria (closer to Orcutt = "better"). Seems to have an ex-urban vibe. Housing also seems kind of pricey too despite it being isolated (both far from major metro areas and semi-far from SLO and Santa Barbara). Probably why it's "harder to staff" in that area

Go to SD, it's way less traffic, it has a few good food scene diversity, everything you want, just in a smaller scale... LA smog and traffic suck. SD weather is better, it's slightly cooler by 5F. Setting down roots in SD to raise a family is better too. Hiking trails, nicer and more beaches to surf, mountain camping, Tijuana is within 30 mins drive (cheap ass food, dental/plastic/lasix surgery? lol), everywhere you want to go downtown or beaches is only 20 mins drive. It's slightly less expensive housing compare to LA. SD has a suburban/communal feel to it, people are more laid back and not as distant vs. LA.

Go to SD, it's way less traffic, it has a few good food scene diversity, everything you want, just in a smaller scale... LA smog and traffic suck. SD weather is better, it's slightly cooler by 5F. Setting down roots in SD to raise a family is better too. Hiking trails, nicer and more beaches to surf, mountain camping, Tijuana is within 30 mins drive (cheap ass food, dental/plastic/lasix surgery? lol), everywhere you want to go downtown or beaches is only 20 mins drive. It's slightly less expensive housing compare to LA. SD has a suburban/communal feel to it, people are more laid back and not as distant vs. LA.

That would indeed be awesome, but not one of my options right now, so....

Hahah, is that the pretty word Californians have for "we kicked out the black people and Mexicans"?

In a sense. Santa Maria is probably like 70% Latino now but Orcutt is > 80% non-Hispanic white

Hey hye, send me a message if you interested in Orange County.

Hey hye, send me a message if you interested in Orange County.

I appreciate the thought, but OC is way too crowded for me... I'd probably have a mini-meltdown on the way to work daily. Thanks though!

Reactions: 1 users
The Target DM was supposed to get back to me today, but once again blew me off.

The Target DM was supposed to get back to me today, but once again blew me off.

I mean, just this should be more than enough to sway you. Again, this is happening before you work for him.

Just take the other offer and run dude lol

Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
Cons:

100% Full-time Staff position! If you have any questions please PM me.

Well, after continuously being ghosted by the Target DM, I contacted the CVS DM, and accepted the transfer. Kind of a relief to finally know for sure.

Reactions: 2 users