Staying in Aus after med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterJH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i know there are millions of posts about this, but I guess I have a specific question. With the 10 year memoratorium thing, when does that start? And how does one apply for PR?!?

I'm Canadian. Let's say I start med school as an international, meet some Aussie surfer babe and get married in 2nd/3rd year and get PR for 3rd or 4th year, will I still have to do this 10 year memoratorium?!? If I get PR in the middle of med school, would I be considered on the same level as Aus citizens in regards to residency spots in Aus?!?

I actually graduated from Engineering this past April, would it be better if I moved to Aus to work for a year or two, apply for PR, and then apply to med school once I have PR?!?

I really want to do medicine in Australia and hopefully stay there afterwards. However with this whole mess with PR and the 10 year memoratorium thing I'm afraid I might just have to settle for residency in the US. Also, I'm obviously not expecting to go to Aus and marry some girl while in med school, I just used that as an example of what if.

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone please just help me out with this information?!? Or maybe point me in the right direction??

I am not exactly sure but I will tell you what I know. The ten-year plan only applies to people wanting to do general practice, which means they will have to work in remote areas 10 years from when they first become PR. As for the residency spots, if you are a PR before you apply, you will still have the same advantages of citizens regardless whether or not you are a PR at time of enrolment of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
10 year moratorium?

I know this:

http://www.pmcwa.health.wa.gov.au/doctors/internship.cfm

Internship

Internship is a period (usually one year) of supervised education and training, in an accredited intern training position within a WA hospital.
Eligibility

Those eligible to apply for internship in Western Australia are:

1. All graduates of WA medical schools who are Australian citizens or permanent residents.
2. Other graduates of accredited Australian/New Zealand medical schools who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, or New Zealand citizens.
3. International graduates of WA medical schools who are able to fulfill the visa requirements of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.
4. International graduates of other Australian / New Zealand medical schools who are able to fulfill the visa requirements of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.
5. Other.

Sucks cause I want dermatology. If they like locals more, and I graduate form Melbourne or Sydney then good luck... :(

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE POST SOME INFO ON STAYING IN AUSSIE AS AN INTERNATIONAL!

what are your chances of getting good match - same as citizens if you are PR??

PeterJH said:
So i know there are millions of posts about this, but I guess I have a specific question. With the 10 year memoratorium thing, when does that start? And how does one apply for PR?!?

I'm Canadian. Let's say I start med school as an international, meet some Aussie surfer babe and get married in 2nd/3rd year and get PR for 3rd or 4th year, will I still have to do this 10 year memoratorium?!? If I get PR in the middle of med school, would I be considered on the same level as Aus citizens in regards to residency spots in Aus?!?

I actually graduated from Engineering this past April, would it be better if I moved to Aus to work for a year or two, apply for PR, and then apply to med school once I have PR?!?

I really want to do medicine in Australia and hopefully stay there afterwards. However with this whole mess with PR and the 10 year memoratorium thing I'm afraid I might just have to settle for residency in the US. Also, I'm obviously not expecting to go to Aus and marry some girl while in med school, I just used that as an example of what if.

I believe the moratorium starts at the time you finish your internship or when you are granted PR, whichever comes later. Not too sure. The moratorium applies to international students who are considered international at the time of admission i.e. if you get in as an international student then midway though med school you get PR, the moratorium will still be waiting for you when your done your internship.

If you get your PR first and then get in, the moratorium won't apply to you. But you'll have to apply as a skilled worker (unless you marry an Australian :) ). Check the Australian immigration website to see if you have enough points.

Be warned though. Competition for a spot in Australian med school as a citizen/permanent resident is as fierce as back in Canada. Getting in as an international student is comparatively easy as pie.