Staying Motivated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamala

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do it? Please help.
I am a nontrad ( 3 years out of school) currently working on my pre-reqs at a university and community college, and I am already struggling, and quetioning if I have what it takesto proceed further.
I want to desperately stay motivated, and evel headed and excited about my educational, and future career, but I am having moments of self-doubt, and wondering if I am really kidding myself. There must have been a reason that I studied Anthropology in college the first time, and not Biology or chemistry right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I feel the same way and started my pre-req this semester, I wanted to quit at least 3 times already!!!!!!!! :mad:
Luckily I have a significant other who supports me :love: and that helps so much when I am down and don't have the grades that I want.
I often picture myself as a Doc, visit this forum often, that keeps me motivated! :D
Good luck to you

I agree with the last poster. I picture myself as a doctor. When I am really down that helps.

Visiting SDN always cheers me up. There are folks on here that started of in worse shape than me and many of them have gotten in to med school! If these goobers can do it, I know I can! :p

Search yourself. You will know if being a doctor is really what you want and worth all the hard work and frustration. :love:

Agape

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum really helps. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by so many of the things I undertake, I try to come by and read the forum. This is the first time I ever write a post because when I have a concern, I look around, see an answer to my concern - the light bulb turns on over my head! - and go back and continue the path. This is my third semester at pre-req's. and struggling a little bit with biology classes (not too crazy about the professors). I preferred chemistry in my undergrad work. but, I'm learning all kinds of lessons along the way and even keeping a journal (that helps sometimes). I really believe that even some of the rough spots that we will encounter on our journey to med school, can come in handy in those interviews. I know the GPA is important, but so is learning from the failures ( in my opinion). I work full time, I take four evening classes ( not in a post-bacc progm.) without much help from program advisors or anyone other than the forums and internet sources I've found on my own.
I try to read every minute I can. and I DO take some time out for myself. Get up early in the morning and dedicate time For yourself - do something you like, and then get back into your routine.
My classes are what keeps me sane ( I'm not crazy about my job at the moment) so I DO look forward to the classes and I know that I HAVE to keep up. Med school is the goal and I'll do whatever it takes to get there. I don't know if all this positivity made you all wanna puke, but...well, those are my two cents.
good luck.

Hi there! I will be going to Mayo this fall, but it seems like yesterday I was in your shoes.... You are in the hardest part of it right now, taking the classes, not being an "official" undergrad or grad student, perhaps not getting enough support, etc. I am NOT trying to be negative - it's just that it was helpful to me when I realized that I was having a hard time because it was a hard situation. Just keep on going - try to see if there are any other students in your classes who are doing the same thing, who could be part of a positive team. Reach out to other types of support - and cast off those who would keep you down.

It seems like half the battle is just sticking with it, not quitting, putting one foot in front of the other...There were some days where I made a deal with myself that as long as I went to class, and to each place I was supposed to be, that was enough - in other words, I had to just show up, not be brilliant or wonderful or anything. Then, llast summer, during a research program at Cornell, a chief surgeon spoke to us. His advice about getting into med school and surviving pre-med? Just keep showing up.

Realize that time will go by (fast!) and you will succeed. Definitely picture yourself as a doctor - and use daily affirmations (they really do work).

Celebrate each test, each achievement - instead of just seeing what's next. Your success in anthro is valuable, and something to proudly bring into your medical career (if you get a chance, read Mountains Beyond Mountains.) People from liberal arts backgrounds actually do better on the MCAT! Anyways, my point is, remember your past successes, they do relate!

Don't get caught up in the crazy things you hear (must get all As to get in to med school, etc.), and if you can, don't get overextended (don't try to rush - take the time you need to be the best applicant you can be). You have time! You are going to make it!

What keeps me going is simple- if I give up on my dreams and settle for what I can easily acheive, will I be happy? If not, why?
Will I regret not following my dreams a couple months/years, ect from now? why?
What other career out there for me that will bring me as much satisfaction as I think I will find in ""this"" career?
What ultimately are you looking to fulfill within youself with/through this career?
WHY do you think this is your dream?
I don't know if this even relates to you, but thinking about and answering these questions can provide me motivation in the most difficult times!

I have to admit that I haven't start pre-reqs or anything but I can relate to having a hard time getting thru. I have been living in a foreign country where I don't know anyone for about 7 months now - I have wanted to go home so many times but I haven't because I just kept reaffirming to myself that this is where I want to be and I am making a difference (or in your case, tell yourself you will make a difference as doctor). Find people that will love and support you through the difficult time and ditch the people that bring you down, you don't have time for that.

Find the little victories everyday and celebrate them (I think someone might have already said that).

A little victory of my own: I was playing football (soccer) with my youth and one of the girls tripped over herself running at full speed and slammed into a wall. I went over a tried to take care of her as best I could. The tutor asked me afterwards if I had ever thought about being a doctor, "You would be a brilliant one, so you would."
Yay for validation.

sunnyjohn said:
I agree with the last poster. I picture myself as a doctor. When I am really down that helps.

Visiting SDN always cheers me up. There are folks on here that started of in worse shape than me and many of them have gotten in to med school! If these goobers can do it, I know I can! :p

Search yourself. You will know if being a doctor is really what you want and worth all the hard work and frustration. :love:

Agape
Who are you calling a goober? ;)

I can totally relate. I am class of 2001, started my MBA Fall 2003 will be finishing this summer. I work full time 830-5, commute about 30-45 mins to work every day and I have been going to class every semester possible (winter and summer) for the past 2 years. This past year I have been going full time (for the past 1.5 years actually) and I am spent. I haven't even started my prereqs yet and I am so burnt out. Lately I have been majorly questioning if this is what I want to do. I have opted (most likely) to go to school at night again, at a program at Drexel which allows you to take all your prereqs in 1.5 years, then you have Jan-April to study for the MCAT. Its either that or be broke and go to school at a local university (which I have already been accepted as a 2nd degree candidate) during the day and try to find a night job. That is my back up plan if I don't get into the night school.

Right now I'm signed up to volunteer on saturday mornings at a lot pre-med program with a teaching hospital. I am too tired to even think about getting up on Saturday mornings. Plus I have much work to be done with my MBA as well. Things are really hard for me right now on a personal level and trying to find this "motivation" is oh so hard. I am blessed to have some VERY supportive friends on SDN but most of my friends in the "real" world aren't around much anymore and I get slack from my parents about how I don't bother to see anyone anymore. Doesn't anyone understand the lengths I have gone to "try" to get into medical school? I accelerated my MBA over the past year when i finally made the decision b/c it really should be done in 3 years. Is this being done for fun? Do people think I enjoy this? After what I've been through with this MBA, I wonder if prereqs are worth it. I know deep down inside I will not be happy until I get into medical school but then I wonder if I can mentally handle it. I question myself because I have at least 3 years until I apply. I question my intelligence, I question my drive, and I question my future. I am good at the business side of things. I am good at science. Maybe I should just go into administration and be miserable. Not rack up well over $200K in debt.

But to what extent will one go to be happy? After thinking of all of that and getting myself depressed, I remember one thing. The one thing that really matters to me more than the whole entire world. I want to be happy. Time doesn't matter as I'm already on the untreaded path. A year or two doesn't make a difference because that gives me "one" more year of "freedom" before I'm chained to medicine ;) My motivation is myself, my drive, and my great friends who take the time to understand where I'm coming from and support me with all the compassion that they possibly can. I have to agree that whom you surround yourself with truly does matter. Maybe that is part of the reason why I have withdrawn from my friends as they don't understand to some extent. They think I'm crazy and I don't feel comfortable discussing my future with some of them. They can't possibly understand what I'm going through.

Wow, that was a long rant, but I needed to get it out of my system. The past few months I have kept alot in and I'm sure that some of you can relate. I just take piece of mind that I'm not alone in this and I have people who "do" understand. I'm going to be happy. That is what matters. :luck: :D

~M