staying with a student host

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironhill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you who have stayed with student hosts, did you bring them anything? like a sort of "thanks for having me" type of thing? i was brought up never to go to someone's house empty-handed... but what should i bring?

Members don't see this ad.

That's how I was brought up as well and as I'm from Cali, I brought my hosts a box of See's and just asked them before if they preferred milk or dark chocolate. But I also know people who have taken their hosts out for drinks or dinner... so I don't think it needs to be much but more of a gesture... good luck on your interview!

Yes, I think it is the nice thing to do. I took a box of See's Candy for one host and I got a bottle of red wine for another host, after seeing that she liked red wine. But I went to the local grocery store and bought the bottle of wine, I wouldn't recommend you bringing it with you in your suitcase.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who have stayed with student hosts, did you bring them anything? like a sort of "thanks for having me" type of thing? i was brought up never to go to someone's house empty-handed... but what should i bring?
I hosted several students this year. Most did bring me gifts, and when I interviewed last year, I always gave gifts to my hosts, too. Personally, I think you can't go wrong with a box of chocolates. If I didn't want to eat the candies myself, I'd take them to school and share them with my classmates. But it really is the gesture that matters, and anything small is fine, even if you just write a thank you note. Taking people for coffee or an inexpensive meal is a nice thing to do too.

neither of the students I hosted brought me anything. in fact, neither of them even seemed all that grateful, which sorta put me off. I didn't care about the no gift thing, but they both sorta acted like it was their right to be staying with me. and both nights I lost significant study time because I was doing something I thought would be nice and enjoyable on both sides.

in the least show your gratitude with a smile and let them know how much you appreciate it. personally i'd feel awkward receiving a gift, but I feel weird getting gifts from my parents on my birthday, too.

A gift is definitely not required, but a genuine expression of appreciation (a nice note) is always great.

I hosted several students this year. Most did bring me gifts, and when I interviewed last year, I always gave gifts to my hosts, too. Personally, I think you can't go wrong with a box of chocolates. If I didn't want to eat the candies myself, I'd take them to school and share them with my classmates. But it really is the gesture that matters, and anything small is fine, even if you just write a thank you note. Taking people for coffee or an inexpensive meal is a nice thing to do too.

On this note, I'm going to a dinner with fellow interviewees and my student host/other meds students the day before my interview. Would it be tacky to pay for my host's meal on that day?

It is nice to bring a box of candy or something like that. If you don't bring anything, at least follow up with a thank you note or email. I had a few applicants stay with me, and quite frankly, some acted pretty entitled and didn't seem very appreciative or me driving 20 miles to pick them up from the airport (at least offer to pay the one dollar parking fee!)

i got em a gift certificate to walmart

On this note, I'm going to a dinner with fellow interviewees and my student host/other meds students the day before my interview. Would it be tacky to pay for my host's meal on that day?
No, I think it would be a really nice thing to do, not tacky at all. One of my hostees did that for me. It was totally not necessary, but it was much appreciated. :)

One other thing I really appreciated was that a couple of girls emailed me after getting their decisions to let me know how things turned out. It's not like I'm best friends with these people after meeting them for a single day. But they did stay in my house for a night or two, so it's not like we're complete strangers either, you know? And maybe I shouldn't be so nosy, but I guess I just like knowing how their stories end. :laugh:

I mostly stayed with friends/family but I always took them to dinner to thank them for it.

The one time I did stay with a student (who wasn't already a friend) I mentioned buying them something and they seemed kind of uncomfortable about it. But I think that's the exception rather than the rule :)

I always though a starbucks gift card would be nice (or a better local place if you know of one). Med students always need coffee.

I mostly stayed with friends/family but I always took them to dinner to thank them for it.

The one time I did stay with a student (who wasn't already a friend) I mentioned buying them something and they seemed kind of uncomfortable about it. But I think that's the exception rather than the rule :)

I always though a starbucks gift card would be nice (or a better local place if you know of one). Med students always need coffee.

If I had a choice for a gift, a gift certificate to Starbucks would def. be a top choice.

I think a gift certificate is always nice, especially on to Starbucks or Wal-Mart. After all, these people are saving you anything from $50-100 that you would otherwise spend in a hotel.

I went with chocolate, since there are very few people who don't like it...

Oh, and I baked cookies for one student as well--since I'm a lowly pre-med with more time on my hands to do things like that.

has anyone ever hooked up with their student host? If I host during med school I will only allow hot female applicants (picture required).

i brought my student host a crab magnet that said Baltimore on it (from the airport) and dinner that night.

It was exam week, so I spent about 10 minutes asking him questions right when I got there, and never saw him again. I sent him a thank you email.

Gift certificates (Starbucks, IKEA, Bed, Bath & Beyond) are great. Remember: your student host is saving you the cost of a hotel room. In some cases, they provide info about the school. It is poor manners not to leave some token of appreciation.

Even paying for a food delivery can be a nice touch if you didn't think of something before you arrived. Medical students don't have loads of time so any gesture is nice. I would go beyond a "thank-you" note though.