Stealing notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyPharmD.stu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of days ago, my biochem manual w/ notes were missing. I'm pretty sure someone took it while I was using the restroom during break. I know I'm partly responsible for leaving my stuff, but I really trusted my classmates; they all seem like kind people. I was totally wrong...but thank goodness we're only up to a couple of chapters and not much was covered (2 chapters).

Anyways, anyone ever been in my shoes? btw, I think I know who's the culprit, but I'm not entirely sure. This feeling sucks...:mad::mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's pretty gunner-ish for someone to do. That kind of stuff actually happened in my old college (one of the top ones in the US News) where there was intense competition to make medical schools and stuff. Folks would rip pages out of class texts and solutions manuals in the library just to screw everyone else over.

The folks in my pharmacy class are not like that. The competition is not against eachother because there's no curves. Everyone's usually very helpful. I would definitely tell something like that to the Academic Dean/Dean of Students so that they he/she is aware of what's going on in the school. Sorry to hear that, but move on and watch your stuff at all times!! :thumbup:

Yeah - its too bad the environment is like that. My class & school actually, was similar to no-see-um. We shared all materials, old tests, notes, etc. Everyone wanted everyone to do well.

You might just want to make a simple announcement that you've missplaced a set of notes on Chapters 1 & 2 and if anyone has seen them to let you know. You could offer at that time perhaps developing a study group with the purpose to share notes. This is a way to announce their "loss" without an accusation. It keeps relationships intact & puts the ownership of the loss on your shoulders.

That gives the offender a face saving way to return them (I found these under the seats in row 7 & didn't know whose they were...glad I could return them). It also gives you a chance to help change the culture of competetion against each other to one encouragment of each other.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Steal notes? Good Lord...

We had a note-pool system at USC.. a tradition that passed down year after year..I believe it started in 1879.:smuggrin: with 2 students.

A designated note taker would take notes then type it up to have it printed and distributed to everyone participating. About half the class participated.

I don't believe that system is still in place at SC.

Can you confirm Farmercyst?

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know the feeling--it really does suck. Something similar happened to me, but thankfully, it was something that was easily replaced. I am now very careful to bring my things with me to lunch and try to bring most everything with me when we go to groups... but a restroom break?? Geez... that is really low. I am lucky to sit next to two good friends, so I believe my things are safe when I run out of class for a few minutes (Even if there is like a ten minute break, I'll still try to put most everything away... but I hope I don't have to start taking everything with me in even those breaks).

The only thing I am really worried about now is that when we take exams we have to leave everything in these back rooms. We are allowed to take nothing with us, not even our purses. I am really really concerned about this. Thankfully, nothing happened to me the first time we had to do this, but someone else's wallet has been misplaced; I'm not sure if he has ever found it. I think I will have to do something about the stuff in my purse now; I guess I will just have to make sure there is nothing important in it.

...I'm pretty sure someone took it while I was using the restroom during break...

I'm sorry to hear (read) that that happened to you!

I'm not suprised that someone would stoop so low as to steal notes. There are plenty of unqualified individuals in professional schools who wouldn't be able to get by if they didn't resort to cheating/stealing.

I would make a small annoucement to the class...

"Hey..once you're done with my notes, please return it...no questions asked. And next time, please ask. I'll share it with you"

Whoever did it ...his/her face should turn red or pale... Though, you shouldn't expect to see your notes again, I bet it'll stop.

If not confrontd...same chit will continue.

If not confrontd...same chit will continue.

Yeah, just wait till you get to lab and they start stealing your products! It's probably better that you learned the lay of the land this way at an early time in the semester. :thumbup:

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions...thanks to all of you. I agree that I should make a small announcement. Anyways, I contacted the professor and he agreed to give me his spare manual. Thank goodness I'm dealing with this problem now...I'm going to be extremely cautious and alert from now on. :D

Find out who it was and steal their car. That's what I'd do.

I would never steal notes, but if you stole car, I'd club you back!
11STPyuZLiL._AA160_.jpg

Those things don't work. All you have to do is take a hacksaw and cut through the rings of the wheel. The anti-theft device comes right off. Then just knock off the ignition mechanism, play with some wires, and you're off.

Those things don't work. All you have to do is take a hacksaw and cut through the rings of the wheel. The anti-theft device comes right off. Then just knock off the ignition mechanism, play with some wires, and you're off.
You sound experienced in the art of carjacking :smuggrin:.

I use one because I figure the cars next to mine without a club are a lot easier to steal. Less hassle and less tools needed. If they do steal my car, well then I can't blame it on myself for not trying.

I suppose that's true...but in this case I want to steal a specific person's car....and that club isn't going to stop me. Hell, if worst comes to worst, I know a guy with a tow truck.