Stellar effin' MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mostly hypothetical, but do you guys think there's some point where high MCATs guarantee admission? And how high? And to where? I'd assume even a 45 isn't a sure-in for, say, Harvard. But how about UCDavis? (Given, of course, that all other requirements are met and GPA's above, say, 3.0). Maybe a 37 for some lower end school. I don't know. I'm just bored at work and am neurotic and obsessive.

Anyone interested in posting MCAT scores, or is that totally ass-pickin' of me?

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminesurge said:
Mostly hypothetical, but do you guys think there's some point where high MCATs guarantee admission? And how high? And to where? I'd assume even a 45 isn't a sure-in for, say, Harvard. But how about UCDavis? (Given, of course, that all other requirements are met and GPA's above, say, 3.0). Maybe a 37 for some lower end school. I don't know. I'm just bored at work and am neurotic and obsessive.

There is no MCAT score that guarantees admission- if you look at the MSAR stats even the high-end scores have some % of rejections.

dopaminesurge said:

I would say there are too many other confounding factors. Just because there appears to be a correlation between some MCAT score and admission to a particular school doesn't mean that the MCAT score was the cause of the admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I shouldn't have used UCD as an example - it has, like, a 3 percent acceptance rate or something. Ya'll get my drift, though.

I wouldn't say they guarantee you admissions, but they may make getting some interviews easier, (ala UMich auto invite for those with stellar GPA or MCAT, and certain 7 year programs like USF COM)

My belief is that just like with interviews, MCAT scores don't guarantee an in, but can keep you out.

dopaminesurge said:

Guaranteed? No. But it would at least keep you competitive ;-)

gujuDoc said:
I wouldn't say they guarantee you admissions, but they may make getting some interviews easier, (ala UMich auto invite for those with stellar GPA or MCAT, and certain 7 year programs like USF COM)

My belief is that just like with interviews, MCAT scores don't guarantee an in, but can keep you out.

Wait, you think interviews can hurt, not help? Or just not guarantee? I really don't know how much interviews weigh in... Probably a lot, but I really don't know.

DarkFark said:
There is no MCAT score that guarantees admission- if you look at the MSAR stats even the high-end scores have some % of rejections.

Do you play Battlefield 2 by any chance? I could have swore I saw someone playing as "DarkFark".

dopaminesurge said:

Probably just ass-pickin' of you. jk. A high MCAT will most likely get one thru the first pass for many schools. After that, there are too many other factors at play to make a definitive leap at guessing admissions.

dopaminesurge said:
Wait, you think interviews can hurt, not help? Or just not guarantee? I really don't know how much interviews weigh in... Probably a lot, but I really don't know.

I've been told by a few docs who used to be on adcoms that once you get to the interview, it means you're acceptable on paper. They use the interview to see if you would be a good fit for the school.

bwells46 said:
Do you play Battlefield 2 by any chance? I could have swore I saw someone playing as "DarkFark".

I don't, but my brother does, and 'DarkFark' is derived from my last name, so maybe... hmm...

Is DarkFark any good? hehe.

DarkFark said:
I don't, but my brother does, and 'DarkFark' is derived from my last name, so maybe... hmm...

Is DarkFark any good? hehe.

Heh. I assumed it was a Fark.com reference of some sort.

I don't know - but earlier today I killed him five times in a row with an APC :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
dopaminesurge said:

Just as with MCAT scores, it will only hurt if you royally screw up.

I've heard of cases where people didn't get in because they royally screwed up in their interview by lying, trying to over exaggerate their activities, or not being able to answer the questions at all and making an ass out of themselves. Although, this isn't the norm, it does happen. So yah it can hurt if you **** up.

bwells46 said:
I don't know - but earlier today I killed him five times in a row with an APC :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

dopaminesurge said:
Heh. I assumed it was a Fark.com reference of some sort.

yeah, most people do, so when people are like "hey, fark, cool, I love fark.com" I'm just like "uhh yeah so do I"

gujuDoc said:
Just as with MCAT scores, it will only hurt if you royally screw up.

I've heard of cases where people didn't get in because they royally screwed up in their interview by lying, trying to over exaggerate their activities, or not being able to answer the questions at all and making an ass out of themselves. Although, this isn't the norm, it does happen. So yah it can hurt if you **** up.

I disagree with this. An interview can also hurt if you are very shy or at all socially awkward.

dopaminesurge,

I looked at your profile and I just want to ask if you have thought about adding more schools. Dont get me wrong, you have great stats and seem to have great ECs as well, but for the people that have been around here for a while, we have realized how random this process is and how many very qualified people get rejected from the five schools to which you are applying. Just my $.02. Also, do you plan on flying back from Isreal for each interview or what? Just curious.

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
dopaminesurge,

I looked at your profile and I just want to ask if you have thought about adding more schools. Dont get me wrong, you have great stats and seem to have great ECs as well, but for the people that have been around here for a while, we have realized how random this process is and how many very qualified people get rejected from the five schools to which you are applying. Just my $.02. Also, do you plan on flying back from Isreal for each interview or what? Just curious.

Jim

I think it's really kind of you to make that suggestion, and it's definitely something I've thought about. The bottom line is something you've hit upon - I don't have the funds to fly back and forth between Israel and the US, so I'm only applying to the 5 I KNOW I'd fly back for. Essentially - I've said this elsewhere - this time around is more of a "hell, why not?" than an actual shot. I mean, I fully recognize there's a big chance I'll be doing this again next year, but I was planning to just take two years anyway, so I figured I might as well try. I know if I received an interview and turned it down, I'd have no shot of receiving one from the same school next year, so it just wouldn't do me any good to apply to more schools. But honestly, thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised by how nice people on this site are.

dopaminesurge said:
I think it's really kind of you to make that suggestion, and it's definitely something I've thought about. The bottom line is something you've hit upon - I don't have the funds to fly back and forth between Israel and the US, so I'm only applying to the 5 I KNOW I'd fly back for. Essentially - I've said this elsewhere - this time around is more of a "hell, why not?" than an actual shot. I mean, I fully recognize there's a big chance I'll be doing this again next year, but I was planning to just take two years anyway, so I figured I might as well try. I know if I received an interview and turned it down, I'd have no shot of receiving one from the same school next year, so it just wouldn't do me any good to apply to more schools. But honestly, thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised by how nice people on this site are.

Um, if you dont get into medical school, I'm not sure that I'm even qualified to breathe near one. Your stats are superb and I'm sure you'll do very well :D

dopaminesurge said:

Yeah, I was going to same something like that... I think that you might definitely want to apply to a few more schools that aren't so highly competitive. It would just kind of suck to go through all this time and effort and find yourself standing without an acceptance letter in your hand come next August. Even though your stats are great, schools (esp. the ones you applied to) turn down applicants like you everyday.

A high MCAT does not make up for a low GPA or any other problems to an application. The MCAT does not get one in to medical school - it only keeps one out.

SanDiegoSOD said:
A high MCAT does not make up for a low GPA or any other problems to an application. The MCAT does not get one in to medical school - it only keeps one out.

Well, a high MCAT can help, but it certainly doesn't guarantee anything. The same is true for a high GPA/low MCAT applicant. You really need both to be competive, but it does help some to have at least one be high.

will8570 said:
Um, if you dont get into medical school, I'm not sure that I'm even qualified to breathe near one. Your stats are superb and I'm sure you'll do very well :D
If you come around me, you'll have to hold your breath. :)

Dopa: If you're just doing this year as a see-what-happens cycle, cool, and if you get in, great. You've got nice stats and EC's, and I hope things go well for you. But you can't count on anything in this process. Your profile looks a little bit like mine, so please be warned - admissions is unbelievably random, and you're taking a huge chance this year. It sounds like you've thought your strategy through, but there's still time to think again and add more schools if you change your mind. Just be sure you're mentally ready to have to do this over again if you have to. :luck:

Wiggy73 said:
If you come around me, you'll have to hold your breath. :)

Dopa: If you're just doing this year as a see-what-happens cycle, cool, and if you get in, great. You've got nice stats and EC's, and I hope things go well for you. But you can't count on anything in this process. Your profile looks a little bit like mine, so please be warned - admissions is unbelievably random, and you're taking a huge chance this year. It sounds like you've thought your strategy through, but there's still time to think again and add more schools if you change your mind. Just be sure you're mentally ready to have to do this over again if you have to. :luck:

holy crap. i don't mean to be rude, but how the **** did you get rejected from so many places? Your stats are ridonculous. i'm applying to a lot of the places you are and my stats are nowhere near as good. Did you have disciplinary action or something? That's effing ridiculous, seriously. and it's not like you went to podunk U, either, you went to vandy!

Tigerstang said:
holy crap. i don't mean to be rude, but how the **** did you get rejected from so many places? Your stats are ridonculous. i'm applying to a lot of the places you are and my stats are nowhere near as good. Did you have disciplinary action or something? That's effing ridiculous, seriously. and it's not like you went to podunk U, either, you went to vandy!

I was thinking the same thing. I don't mean to be rude either... But with a 42S/4.0 GPA, I can't believe u got so many rejections post-secondary. What's going on? Were u shocked? I would be mad if that happened to me.

will8570 said:
dope is only applying to some top-notch schools though

SanDiegoSOD said:
I can say for a fact that MCW's director of admissions said explicitly that a high MCAT does make up for a low GPA to an extent. That way, you can at least claim to have had difficult professors, tough curves/no curves, etc. I'm sure that different people view a GPA/MCAT disparity differently, but your statement isn't true.