Hello OP! I received the same MCAT score as you, and I also received many secondaries as well. I actually applied to even more schools (MD and DO) schools than you did, and I wasn't accepted to any of them. After taking a hiatus from the med school journey, I then went to a caribbean school and now am at the end of year 2. But I don't suggest you do what I did.
What I'm going to tell you now is what I would have told myself years ago when I was in a similar situation as you. If medical school is truly what you want to do with your life (not because of any outside pressures of family and friends), you can definitely do it.
BUT it may not be within the timeline in which you envisioned your life. It may mean you need to retake the MCAT, it may mean you need to really analyze your studying habits, it may mean you need to wait a year, it may mean you try a master's program and try again after that. And that is okay.
I'm am a big proponent of being optimistic and hopeful, so I am not going to tell you not to feel those things. But if there's one thing I learned from all my struggles thus far as a med student, it's that --along with being hopeful and optimistic--I had to be real with myself. If I don't do that and I end up not getting the result I wanted, I end up being more devastated than if I had just been realistic. Even if that means just having a backup plan and support ready in case things don't go your way.
I obviously want you to get what you want (because I would never wish the type of rejection I got on even my enemies lol) But things can go two ways. If you end up defying the odds and you get into a US med school, that's amazing and obviously you will work hard once you're in med school! But if you don't end up getting accepted this cycle, that's also okay and you will STILL work hard----to make yourself the best applicant you can be for the next round
🙂
Wishing you the very best of luck OP!
🙂
I hope your cycles are going well. Let's get right to it. I have a 3.56 GPA from a top-20 research university, stellar LORs (all of my recommenders sent them to me before submitting), tons of clinical experience (long term shadowing and volunteering in clinic, etc), above average research experience with a publication under review - and - a couple of distinguished awards on my resume that will turn heads of the AdCom, let's leave it at that. I think most importantly, I have shown a direct commitment to a very specific patient population for 7+ years and this is clear throughout all of my application. A former AdCom said I have one of the best personal statements they've ever read.
But...I have a 494 MCAT.
If I currently have no interview invites with some pre-II waitlists, do I have a shot at all?? I applied to 37 schools. complete labour day. I am over-represented in medicine and I am from New York.