Insanely low MCAT, all other stats stellar...am I doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordoctor2750

Reaction score
I hope your cycles are going well. Let's get right to it. I have a 3.56 GPA from a top-20 research university, stellar LORs (all of my recommenders sent them to me before submitting), tons of clinical experience (long term shadowing and volunteering in clinic, etc), above average research experience with a publication under review - and - a couple of distinguished awards on my resume that will turn heads of the AdCom, let's leave it at that. I think most importantly, I have shown a direct commitment to a very specific patient population for 7+ years and this is clear throughout all of my application. A former AdCom said I have one of the best personal statements they've ever read.

But...I have a 494 MCAT.

If I currently have no interview invites with some pre-II waitlists, do I have a shot at all?? I applied to 37 schools. complete labour day. I am over-represented in medicine and I am from New York.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope your cycles are going well. Let's get right to it. I have a 3.56 GPA from a top-20 research university, stellar LORs (all of my recommenders sent them to me before submitting), tons of clinical experience (long term shadowing and volunteering in clinic, etc), above average research experience with a publication under review - and - a couple of distinguished awards on my resume that will turn heads of the AdCom, let's leave it at that. I think most importantly, I have shown a direct commitment to a very specific patient population for 7+ years and this is clear throughout all of my application. A former AdCom said I have one of the best personal statements they've ever read.

But...I have a 494 MCAT.

If I currently have no interview invites with some pre-II waitlists, do I have a shot at all?? I applied to 37 schools. complete labour day. I am over-represented in medicine and I am from New York.

Did you apply DO as well or just MD?

Just to clarify, you received secondaries from all 37 schools? I'd imagine a sub-500 MCAT would get you automatically screened out at many MD programs - did you contact the programs you applied to regarding their minimum MCAT?

Reactions: 3 users
Did you apply DO? Can you share your list of schools? Your GPA is below average for MD but fine for DO. Your MCAT is too low for MD and really low for DO. What were you scoring on your FL tests ? Did something happen on test day that caused you to underperform so badly?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Just to clarify, you received secondaries from all 37 schools? I'd imagine a sub-500 MCAT would get you automatically screened out at many MD programs - did you contact the programs you applied to regarding their minimum MCAT?

Most schools really don’t screen for secondaries. It’s a good source of income for the schools. It’s not surprising OP received secondaries with that MCAT score.

Most schools really don’t screen for secondaries. It’s a good source of income for the schools. It’s not surprising OP received secondaries with that MCAT score.

Oh sure, I get that. I'm also asking if OP contacted the schools regarding minimum MCAT to see if any of those secondary fees were donations.

Actually, just the list of where OP was complete would suffice for feedback purposes.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for writing back! I submitted to 40 schools and received 37 secondaries. I did a lot of research on which schools would screen me out based on my MCAT.

I decided not to apply to any DO schools - nothing wrong against them at all, I just figured that if I have to reapply I'll need to retake the MCAT of course again. Additionally, I applied to all schools with strong research programs, fairly high on the list. I did this because I knew I wanted to apply to schools in places I would be happy living - turned out to be some fairly competitive schools hahah

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Did you apply DO? Can you share your list of schools? Your GPA is below average for MD but fine for DO. Your MCAT is too low for MD and really low for DO. What were you scoring on your FL tests ? Did something happen on test day that caused you to underperform so badly?

Thank you so much! My schools were top 40 MD schools, I didn't apply to any DO schools. The first time I took it was in May, and I honestly just wasn't prepared. I was getting high on my CARS and PSYCH sections, but neglected to study hard enough on the other sections. So those are the areas that brought me down. I know my lack of preparation was a big mistake.

Are you aware of a single person who has received an interview with this score? lol

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
So, just to be certain I understand your situation, you applied to the top 40 research schools based on USNWR ranking?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Thank you so much! My schools were top 40 MD schools, I didn't apply to any DO schools. The first time I took it was in May, and I honestly just wasn't prepared. I was getting high on my CARS and PSYCH sections, but neglected to study hard enough on the other sections. So those are the areas that brought me down. I know my lack of preparation was a big mistake. Seems like you have a

Are you aware of a single person who has received an interview with this score? lol
Not on this planet Earth I’m afraid with your list. Not to sound like a dick, but you have no business applying to top 40 with your MCAT score. Your GPA is already low for top 20 schools unless you have a phenomenal MCAT to back that up, which you don’t. I can’t sugarcoat this but you applied poorly. I think you might be looking at a reapp, unless there’s something out of this world in your app, even that might not help with that low of an MCAT. Im curious, what makes you think you have a shot at top 40? Should have applied to any schools and pray one might bite.

Assuming other aspects of your app are as great as you had said, I would say focus on bringing that MCAT up. If you get at least 515+, I think you would have a shot at top 40. 510+ can also get you into an MD school if that’s all you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
So, just to be certain I understand your situation, you applied to the top 40 research schools based on USNWR ranking?

Yeah I did! I know it sounds a million percent unrealistic, but I think I am a very strong applicant otherwise, and I really liked all of the schools :)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

But...I have a 494 MCAT.

That score is lethal. You are in a high risk zone for failing out of med school and or failing Boards.

Why did you do so poorly?

Reactions: 8 users
Yep I did :rofl:

It sounds like you already know the answer to this question, but no, it is exceedingly unlikely that you'll receive an interview at a top 40 school as an ORM with a 3.56/494.

Here are some of my recommendations to strengthen your application for next year:
- You'll need to score above a 512 on your MCAT retake to realistically have an MD only cycle. Strongly consider applying DO no matter what you score.
- Never ever accept a non-confidential Letter of Recommendation. Your LORs may be stellar, but they're worthless at some programs because you've seen them. You're not supposed to review them. Ask for new, confidential LORs next year.
- Do you have any grades less than C in any of your prerequisites? If so, retake those.
- Keep up the volunteering and other ECs.

• Love
It sounds like you already know the answer to this question, but no, you're not going to receive an interview at a medical school as an ORM with a 3.56/494.
FTFY.

No med school is doing the OP any favors by accepting someone who is at such high risk for doing poorly.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to retake that MCAT (after some hard reflection) and kill it the second time around. Your GPA isn't looking so great either.

Reactions: 4 users
Start studying for a retake of the MCAT. Do not sit for the exam until your practice test scores are within the competitive range. You had no business applying this cycle with that score. Your secondary fee was essentially a donation.

I would also caution against overestimating your competitiveness. Your GPA is not "stellar". It's actually below average at most places. All LORs are going to sound great unless you have read hundreds+ of them to get a feel of which applicants are truly exceptional. So when you do reapply, be sure to apply broadly. No one should be applying to only T40 schools.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Thank you so much! My schools were top 40 MD schools, I didn't apply to any DO schools. The first time I took it was in May, and I honestly just wasn't prepared. I was getting high on my CARS and PSYCH sections, but neglected to study hard enough on the other sections. So those are the areas that brought me down. I know my lack of preparation was a big mistake.

You seem to make lots of big mistakes. Taking the MCAT without proper preparation is just one. All of your scores are visible to
schools! AMCAS recs that schools average multiple MCATS . Some do snd some don't! And we have no way of knowing what schools do! So theres that. The average GPA of matriculated students is 3.71 and increases every year! As to the average MCAT score of the top 20 I would think they are 25+points higher than your score! Your score is too low for any MD school and so low only the newest DO schools might consider you!
Every year only 40 percent of all MD applicants are accepted. That means around 60 percent of applicants are rejected and this includes people with stellar applications! Do you really consider your application stellar? You need to spend some time reading the WAMC threads and see what other applicants have on their applications. As people have said, you might be competitive for DO Especially the newest schools. A great retake score would make you competitive for some low to mid tier MD schools!
Do you have anyone to advise you? And what Janet said about your letters is true!

Wouldn't this only be an issue if OP used Interfolio and the letters were submitted by the writers as non-confidential/if OP didn't waive his right to see them? If the LOR writers submit directly to AAMC, aren't they automatically assumed confidential? I had an LOR writer email me his letter but he submitted it directly to AAMC... still confidential I think (hoping)?

It was unclear what OP’s situation is with their LORs. I thought the original posting implied s/he hadn’t waived their FERPA rights, but perhaps I shouldn’t make that assumption.

As for you, as long as you waived your right to see your letters wherever you were asked, you’re probably fine. It’s not like anyone can control if your letter writer volunteers to show you/discuss the content of your LOR.

Since when was a 3.5 GPA stellar? And yes, you just made a bunch if donations. Too bad it’s not tax deductible.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah OP, your chances of getting in are low. The goal of your GPA and MCAT scores is to get past the computer screens at schools. Most schools send out secondaries automatically after receiving your primary, so getting secondaries was not a reflection of your competitiveness. Once your scores pass the school's threshold, then real people will read over your application. With a sub 500 score, you were dead in the water for most MD and DO schools. Nobody cares how great your extracurriculars are if you haven't proven you can academically handle medical school. On top of your MCAT score, you decided to apply to the T40 medical institutions. These schools get thousands of applicants with better metrics and experiences than you. For you to apply to those schools with your score and GPA, it shows your arrogance and pride.

So ways to improve next cycle
1. Retake your MCAT. For most MD schools, you should aim for 512+. If you want T40, aim for a 517+. Only take your exam if your practice tests are consistently in these ranges.

2. Boost up your GPA. Take more post bacc science classes to raise your GPA to around a 3.6

3. Waive your right to read your letters when you apply in both AACOMAs and AMCAs. Schools will dump you if haven't waived your rights to the letter.

4. Make sure your writing is vetted to make sure you don't sound arrogant and entitled. Also make sure your writing can reflect you and your motivation for medicine and your extracurriculars.

5. Apply smartly. Your next school list should have DO schools, your state schools, and MD schools with medians around the average of your two MCAT scores.

Edit: @OntologicalDamnation pointed out that some schools will just consider the highest or most recent MCAT score. However, you still need to tailor your list to be as broad as possible regardless of your score.

Last edited:

But...I have a 494 MCAT.

Not to be a jerk, but OP, you had no business of applying to the top 40 MD schools let alone the top 40 DO schools. Check your ego at the door and retake the MCAT. How did you study for the MCAT? Dedicate 5 months to MCAT prep and find a good test prep company. Do a lot of problems, TIMED and a bunch of practice exams.

a couple of distinguished awards on my resume that will turn heads of the AdCom

Even a Rhodes scholarship won't make up for that MCAT score.

Reactions: 4 users
Not to be a jerk, but OP, you had no business of applying to the top 40 MD schools let alone the top 40 DO schools. Check your ego at the door and retake the MCAT. How did you study for the MCAT? Dedicate 5 months to MCAT prep and find a good test prep company. Do a lot of problems, TIMED and a bunch of practice exams.

Even a Rhodes scholarship won't make up for that MCAT score.

Rhodes? A Nobel Prize wouldn't make up for that MCAT score. 494 is just way too low. You need at least 500 or better to be considered for DO and 505 or better for MD.

Reactions: 5 users
Rhodes? A Nobel Prize wouldn't make up for that MCAT score. 494 is just way too low. You need at least 500 or better to be considered for DO and 505 or better for MD.
Personally, if I were OP, I would purchase all of TBR and do every single problem in the books, memorize Khan's P/S, UWORLD, all AAMC material plus 15 or so full lengths. It seems like he is in dire need of content review, and TBR would probably help. It's going to take a few months of solid non-stop prep, and it may be painful, but to aim high, you have to put in the work and drop the egotistical thinking

Your continued lack of judgement as showcased on this thread will ultimately likely be more lethal to your application chances than your MCAT score, though the latter is already enough to tank an application.

OP, before you even consider retaking the MCAT, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself and be realistic. It's okay to be optimistic, but you need to actually have a basis for that optimism for it to mean anything.

• Love
Hello OP! I received the same MCAT score as you, and I also received many secondaries as well. I actually applied to even more schools (MD and DO) schools than you did, and I wasn't accepted to any of them. After taking a hiatus from the med school journey, I then went to a caribbean school and now am at the end of year 2. But I don't suggest you do what I did.

What I'm going to tell you now is what I would have told myself years ago when I was in a similar situation as you. If medical school is truly what you want to do with your life (not because of any outside pressures of family and friends), you can definitely do it. BUT it may not be within the timeline in which you envisioned your life. It may mean you need to retake the MCAT, it may mean you need to really analyze your studying habits, it may mean you need to wait a year, it may mean you try a master's program and try again after that. And that is okay.

I'm am a big proponent of being optimistic and hopeful, so I am not going to tell you not to feel those things. But if there's one thing I learned from all my struggles thus far as a med student, it's that --along with being hopeful and optimistic--I had to be real with myself. If I don't do that and I end up not getting the result I wanted, I end up being more devastated than if I had just been realistic. Even if that means just having a backup plan and support ready in case things don't go your way.

I obviously want you to get what you want (because I would never wish the type of rejection I got on even my enemies lol) But things can go two ways. If you end up defying the odds and you get into a US med school, that's amazing and obviously you will work hard once you're in med school! But if you don't end up getting accepted this cycle, that's also okay and you will STILL work hard----to make yourself the best applicant you can be for the next round :)

Wishing you the very best of luck OP! :)

But...I have a 494 MCAT.

Last edited: