Stem Cells and Pain management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultm8frisbee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this? I've got some rep hounding me about some new product that are stem cells derived from placenta's that I could utilize in my "pain blocks" according to them. I guess these could potentially be injected epidurally or intradiscally. Don't think there is anyway in hell I'd do this, but anyone hear of it? My initial google search for this lead me to the website for Laser Spine Institute, so I'm probably already permanently biased AGAINST it.

Members don't see this ad.

derived from placenta cells to be injected into epidural space?

smells fishy

literally

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not stem cells but growth factors and antinflammatory properties. they are talking about a human allograft product derived from amniotic tissue from live, healthy donors. It is a natural alternative to synthetic; cadaveric or animal derived regenerative medicine products. the presence of the chemical compounds, growth factors and viable cells naturally present in amnion can provide anti inflammatory benefits and enhance the body's natural regenerative process.

My reply to reps with new products - show me your double-blind, placebo controlled, peer-reviewed studies, along with your safety and outcomes data, then show me where other doctors are getting paid for doing it 99% of the time. Then I'll critique it and get back to you.

New stuff never gets paid. Leave it for the academic depts.

It is not stem cells but growth factors and antinflammatory properties. they are talking about a human allograft product derived from amniotic tissue from live, healthy donors. It is a natural alternative to synthetic; cadaveric or animal derived regenerative medicine products. the presence of the chemical compounds, growth factors and viable cells naturally present in amnion can provide anti inflammatory benefits and enhance the body's natural regenerative process.

I saw lots of words, but not a complete concept or thought. It's jargon jibberish without biologic plausibility.

I suppose if I rub it on my hair, it will make it grow. If I rub it on my belly, I'll get 6 pack abs.
The above is merely propaganda appealing to several techniques.

1. Get out the goo.
2. Identify what is in the goo.
3. Test the goo for safety
4. Determine how the goo works in the body
5. See if the goo theory holds up in vitro
6. See how goo does in vivo
7. DBRCT goo vs placebo, or in this case, placenta.

What company is this? I was thinking about trying to develop something like this since I used electroporation on chick embryos in the past to implant DNA into cells which would make nearly any compound you wanted. The disc might not be metabolically active enough for this to work but I have been tossing the idea around. The technique is to inject the DNA into the area then shock the nearby cells with electrical current, thus disrupting cell membranes and letting the DNA to enter the cells. Once inside, the DNA does its thing and makes whatever the code says to. Send me the information when you get a chance.

I know everything! I have laid eggs... *inside of your brain*!