Step 1 and IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
STEP 1: 202
US school

Programs that i should consider doing elective in IM to enhance my chances of getting accepted ?

what kind of IM programs would consider my application?

How can I improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Mid tier university programs, any community programs. Step 1 is below average but won't be a deal breaker at most programs outside the top ones that will have screens on the step 1 score. Taking step 2 early and doing well could def help. Best of luck.

Mid tier university programs, any community programs. Step 1 is below average but won't be a deal breaker at most programs outside the top ones that will have screens on the step 1 score. Taking step 2 early and doing well could def help. Best of luck.

is there any website where such programs are listed?

is MCG (medical college of georgia) Mid tier university program?

By early you mean before residency application process begins?

Thanks

is there any website where such programs are listed?

is MCG (medical college of georgia) Mid tier university program?

By early you mean before residency application process begins?

Thanks

I don't know of a website that lists programs in tiers (obviously no program wants to be known as bottom tier), I would look on freida (google it if you haven't been there yet) and make a list of programs you are interested in. Any state school in the south / east besides UNC, UAB, and UVA basically fit the bill as those are a bit more competitive. Yes, MCG, MUSC, USC/PH, VCU, UT, South Alabama, Miss, USF, and more or less UF are what I would call mid tier university prgrams and I think you will stand a decent chance at them. Obviously not all of those are exactly equally competitive, but in general it's the same ballpark.

If you have a poor step 1, I think earlier is better when it comes to step 2. Ideally, programs would never see your step 1 without seeing your step 2 beside it. That way, they can see your improvement and know you understand clinical medicine. Having said that, it's not always possible with AI rotations and scheduling conflicts and I don't think your 202 is the end of the world without having step 2 early. But I would put a pretty high emphasis on taking it before september in your situation.