Step 1 Delay Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltyspatoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't think I will even pass for upcoming exam in a couple days. Trying to delay it but my school won't let me unless you delay without their permission in which case you may be put on disciplinary probation. Basically what I ask is:

1. Fail then re-take later

OR

2. Delay, get passing/good score, but also be put on probation for delaying without their permission.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get their permission, then delay. Make it super clear that you will fail if you don't. Delaying is way better for residency than failing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. Best wishes.

Appreciate the responses. However, all attempts to get permission have failed. I have to sit for the exam.

In this case, should I just delay and accept the consequences knowing full well I am going to fail?

Appreciate the responses. However, all attempts to get permission have failed. I have to sit for the exam.

In this case, should I just delay and accept the consequences knowing full well I am going to fail?

What does probation actually mean? Depending on what it entails, it could be better than failing.

What does probation actually mean? Depending on what it entails, it could be better than failing.

I'm not really sure but I know it's the same category if you fail courses. Immediate consequences are not being able to start rotations for at least some time, not graduating on time, having a note on your evaluations saying you delayed, etc.

Absolutely dont turn up and delay the exam.

You wont be able to start on time perhaps. The school just doesnt want to go through the hassle of rearranging your rotations.
But this exam you absolutely cannot do poorly, much less fail.

Absolutely dont turn up and delay the exam.

You wont be able to start on time perhaps. The school just doesnt want to go through the hassle of rearranging your rotations.
But this exam you absolutely cannot do poorly, much less fail.

Thanks for the advice. At this point, I don't have the school's permission to delay. This means If I delay anyway, I'll have to be put on probation and have a big note on my evaluations saying I delayed. Should I still go ahead and delay?

Thanks for the advice. At this point, I don't have the school's permission to delay. This means If I delay anyway, I'll have to be put on probation and have a big note on my evaluations saying I delayed. Should I still go ahead and delay?

Step 1 is the single most important indicator of matching outcomes. You decide. 190 vs 230 with probation?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible that the OP's school might dismiss them for not taking the exam on time?

Sounds like your school has a maximum amount of time that they are allowing you to take the exam. One solution is an LOA -- that would stop the clock. It would also be reportable on your transcript / MSPE, but better than "probation".

Is it possible that the OP's school might dismiss them for not taking the exam on time?

Sounds like your school has a maximum amount of time that they are allowing you to take the exam. One solution is an LOA -- that would stop the clock. It would also be reportable on your transcript / MSPE, but better than "probation".

Dismissal will not happen unless I fail the exam 3 times. I also can't take an LOA before taking the Step 1. My early rotations are moved back and I have to make up for it during 4th year which brings with it a huge disadvantage in applying for residencies. But I will be expected to graduate on time.

If I do well enough on the Step 1 and have no other issues, can a probation be overlooked by residency directors or is it a automatic red flag that will end up with me being unmatched, no matter how well I do? The probation isn't set in stone but from what I have heard, it is most likely going to happen if I take this route.

Last edited:
Just remember that if you do make yourself take it and barely pass by even 1 point you cannot retake it. Definitely delay and get a better score. This is more important than anything else on your applciation. They probably just call it a probation to indicate that it's not a good thing, but at my school everybody just calls it a leave of absence.

Something is not matching up here if we hold the assumption that a medical school and you have the mutual interest in your success.

1. How did you find out about the disciplinary consequences if you delay? Did you directly tell administration of your plans or did you hear from a friend (and how reliable is their information).

2. You are exaggerating the consequences of delaying. It won't be a huge disadvantage to residencies if you graduate on time and can have CK by Sep/Oct. It'll hurt a bit but there's areas to let them know you're anticipating scores and that you took it on "x" date and you can hand CK scores over at interviews.

3. You're incredibly inconsistent in the tone describing the consequences.

-not graduating on time, having a note on your evaluations saying you delayed, etc.
-I'll have to be put on probation and have a big note on my evaluations saying I delayed.
-my early rotations are moved back and I have to make up for it during 4th year which brings with it a huge disadvantage in applying for residencies. But I will be expected to graduate on time
-If I do well enough on the Step 1 and have no other issues, can a probation be overlooked by residency directors or is it a automatic red flag that will end up with me being unmatched, no matter how well I do? The probation isn't set in stone but from what I have heard, it is most likely going to happen if I take this route

I believe you're not giving us a complete picture of your situation. Even if the contradiction about graduating was due to assuming you would be late on this Monday but found out Tuesday you would graduate on time, that begs the question of what else you don't know but are putting as a worst case situation in this scenario. Also, another possibility is how honest you're being with the school if they're treating you this way?

In the chance I'm way off and your school is really that foolish to let a failing student sit for the USMLE Step 1 because they're not willing to add one student to the administrative headache of delaying rotations, then see @bannie22 's posts.