STEP 1 Embryo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrilFiggis

EM resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone have an idea on the prevalence of Embryo questions on Step 1? I'm trying to cover gaps and I'm not sure where the high yield is. Is it dealing with congenital abnormalities, pouches/arches, or cellular origin?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything is high yield on Step 1. FA covers all the embryo you need.

Things to know, pharyngeal arches, clefts, etc. Cell lines and derivatives. Congenital abnormalities and their origins. Aortic arch derivatives.

Embryology also helps you remember cancers, sometimes. I.e. neuroendocrine tumors stain for chromaffin etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. Anyone have an idea on the prevalence of Embryo questions on Step 1? I'm trying to cover gaps and I'm not sure where the high yield is. Is it dealing with congenital abnormalities, pouches/arches, or cellular origin?

UWorld covered more than enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my favorite embryo diagram. Just print this out and glance at it once in a while. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Rugh_063.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW, Uworld and reading through FA embryo twice was sufficient for me. In my experience, the amount of embryo you need for Step 1 will be miles less than what you were probably tested on in preclinicals.

In my experience, the amount of embryo you need for Step 1 will be miles less than what you were probably tested on in preclinicals.
FA covers all the embryo you need.
Thank you. I was doing UWorld questions and comparing my class notes to FA and it just seemed much more straight forward than the depth we did. Made me nervous to think I felt good about it when i clearly didn't in class.

Do you want to do well on step 1? Don’t ask questions like this. At a minimum you must thoroughly study and attempt to know everything in first aid and uworld.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you want to do well on step 1? Don’t ask questions like this. At a minimum you must thoroughly study and attempt to know everything in first aid and uworld.
Thanks for the productive insight. Obviously my goal is to put in as little effort as possible. OR my goal is to make sure I'm not wasting time on concepts I'm comfortable with when I could be addressing the issues I know I have.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the productive insight. Obviously my goal is to put in as little effort as possible. OR my goal is to make sure I'm not wasting time on concepts I'm comfortable with when I could be addressing the issues I know I have.
You need to know everything. Everything is on step 1. How the hell can anyone tell you the breakdown? You think when people go to take step 1 they tally all the sections they were asked about, and then you can assume that their one step 1 experience is the same as everyone’s?

So yea it’s not a good question and no ones response should change the way you study. Know and study everything. That’s all you need to know.

You are almost 100% guaranteed to see multiple questions on Step 1 that cover concepts you didn't learn or pathologies you have never heard of. My advice would be to know pathology, physiology, and pharmacology - the high-yields - so well that you can try to figure these out.

I spent a few days total on anatomy, biochemistry, embryology, behavioral, etc. That was sufficient for me. I either "starred" or almost starred all those categories. The stuff I didn't do as well on were the topics that are considered extremely high yield - you can never study them enough.

Embryo is fairly low yield but I think their favorite embryo questions that are most likely to show up are this format:
Clinical vignette (blah blah blah), what is the embryological origin of X? [you may have to infer the diagnosis from the vignette also]
Example: Craniopharyngioma, Rathke’s pouch (Everyone loves this one for some reason)

Know and study everything.
Wow again, totally insightful.
How the hell can anyone tell you the breakdown? You think when people go to take step 1 they tally all the sections they were asked about, and then you can assume that their one step 1 experience is the same as everyone’s?
No, but this forum includes hundreds of people who have taken Step 1 so n>1. Of course they don't tally their sections, but you're telling me you've never left an exam thinking, huh, I wasn't expecting that many questions related to X. Not that you weren't prepared, but that you were surprised that they focused on those concepts.

I'm 2.5 months out from taking step 1 and I'm trying to be proactive about my studying and my study schedule. I asked the question because there is a finite amount of time to review and refine my knowledge. Embryo was a subject that was taught poorly but with focus on granular detail at my school. Since doing FA and UWorld, I've found the subject to be far less strenuous than in class. That duality was concerning because I had previously allotted more time for review. But if I could cut that down to focus on areas of more concern for me, that's not lazy or any other characterization that your condescending posts imply. Maybe I didn't elaborate that well in my first post. My fault. But maybe you could refrain from being a dick and posting useless comments.

Thank you @mrbreakfast and @ryanr for the constructive answers.

Wow again, totally insightful.

No, but this forum includes hundreds of people who have taken Step 1 so n>1. Of course they don't tally their sections, but you're telling me you've never left an exam thinking, huh, I wasn't expecting that many questions related to X. Not that you weren't prepared, but that you were surprised that they focused on those concepts.

I'm 2.5 months out from taking step 1 and I'm trying to be proactive about my studying and my study schedule. I asked the question because there is a finite amount of time to review and refine my knowledge. Embryo was a subject that was taught poorly but with focus on granular detail at my school. Since doing FA and UWorld, I've found the subject to be far less strenuous than in class. That duality was concerning because I had previously allotted more time for review. But if I could cut that down to focus on areas of more concern for me, that's not lazy or any other characterization that your condescending posts imply. Maybe I didn't elaborate that well in my first post. My fault. But maybe you could refrain from being a dick and posting useless comments.

Thank you @mrbreakfast and @ryanr for the constructive answers.

Go down the table of contents of first aid. This is what step 1 focuses on, and if all you study is high yield then you get a bad score.

Last edited:
I'm 2.5 months out from taking step 1 and I'm trying to be proactive about my studying and my study schedule.

Honest advice? Put that out of your mind and relax right now while you can. Focus on doing well in classes and really learning the material. Stay fresh; the people who do well on Step 1 are the people who a) go in with a good general knowledge base and b) don't get burned out a week before the exam.

If you want stuff to review now:
1) Biostats. Know it perfectly and you'll get a question or two per section you'll answer correctly in 5 seconds 100% of the time.
2) Pharm: do flashcards every day. Know everything about the "required" drugs. It'll also help in clinicals a lot.
3) Make a big powerpoint of histology/radiology images to review during dedicated study. Again, a few questions per section that you can answer correctly instantly. Also useful for M3; I have been pimped on chest, neck, and brain CT/MRI studies many times.

kinda thought this was gonna be about starting to study for step 1 .. as an embryo.

that's like next generation gunning.

reading first aid to your unborn child in the womb.

"I want you to get the step 1 score I never had growing up"

gives me the creepies

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users