Step 1 help -- Kaplan options? TPR? Gen. adv. needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freespirit_md

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Thanks for giving this post a read.. I could use some quick advise here as I commence studying for the USMLE Step 1 and 2.

Here's my situation: I took an academic leave from med school for three years and just finished a few months ago. So now I'm an MD but I didn't take Step 1 or 2 yet. (Yeah, it's not a requirement for us.) So I'm a bit rusty and need to do a good comprehensive review to get back into it.. and then do the match thing. I'm not working right now, so I have a bit of time.

Here's the questions:

1) How long should I allot to for board review? I hear 2 months is average, so if I give myself 3 or so, maybe that's sufficient? What have you guys done?

2) Courses: I want to use some sort of comprehensive system to organize myself and simplify the situation. Everyone talks about kaplan this or that. I haven't really heard of any others that are recommended. Soo, here are my options:
* Webprep - $699 for 90 hours of audio lectures online and the kaplan "lecture notes" & qbook
* Home Study Kit - $499 .. I think two books. People have said good things about this, but I am so confused here.. No lectures are included and its just the books. Are these better way to go than the notes?
* Buy the notes on ebay - $299. Are the audio lectures included in a webprep even useful? Should I just get the lecture notes from ebay and call it a day?
* Q-bank - $150 or something. Differing opinions here.. is this worth while?
* And how about Princeton review? Useful?

3) What other books should I get my hands on to augment above? Concensus looks like BRS Physio/BRS Path/First Aid/High Yield Gross/High Yield Neuro/Lippencott Pharm. Sound reasonable? Any that I am missing?

4) Last question: Since I need to prep for Step 1 and 2 -- is there any tactic you guys can think of to prep efficiently for both at the same time and come out ahead? Or should I do them one at a time?

Thanks!
Dave

Members don't see this ad.