Step 1 in beginning of March?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-year student at a medical school where we will have to take step 1 by the beginning of March of our second year and start clerkships later on in the same month. This is the first year of a new curriculum. Do you think this will impact my score if everyone else around the country will be taking it 2-3 months after me?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t mean to derail but what is the advantage of this curriculum? more elective time?

I remember being attracted to schools like this when applying but can’t remember why at all

Don’t mean to derail but what is the advantage of this curriculum? more elective time?

I remember being attracted to schools like this when applying but can’t remember why at all

The pitch to premeds=“earlier and more clinical exposures!” This is useless.
The real benefit=more elective time, both clinical and research. And sometimes people who do a specialty that isn’t a core rotation (ophtho etc) say being on electives early helps.

Oh, and we get ~4 months of vacation between March of 3rd year and May of 4th year (though most people burn 2-4 weeks on CK). I think this is more than you can squeeze out of a traditional 4th year.

OP: You’re already enrolled in the school so no point worrying too much about it now. Just do your best in studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools do 1.5 yr preclinical now and take step around that time, it really doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it favors those who take it in June / July. Nothing we can do at this point though.

I'm a first-year student at a medical school where we will have to take step 1 by the beginning of March of our second year and start clerkships later on in the same month. This is the first year of a new curriculum. Do you think this will impact my score if everyone else around the country will be taking it 2-3 months after me?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Our school is only off that by about a month - though I elected to take my dedicated time in between clinical rotations, so I'm not taking it until almost September. Honestly, not sure why it'd matter.

The benefit to being able to start electives earlier is so valuable. If you are still getting as much dedicated, it won't matter at all. School curriculum is only medium yield at best.