I started out as a fan of interview caps, but after reading those two very interesting articles/studies, have become a convert of the ERAP Two-Step.
"The ERAP consists of a two-round residency application system in which the first round is capped at 5 applications (and 3 interviews). Applicants who do not match in the first round can apply to an unlimited number of programs in the second round."
While it would definitely up the gamesmanship aspect of the residency application process, it also targets the specific problems of the current system -- over-application on the part of med students and over-reliance on 'convenience screens' by programs.
- The cream-skimming potential interview-hoarders would potentially be funneled off early
- Programs would be highly-motivated to favor ERAP applicants before opening the 'floodgates' to applicants of unknown interest
- The need for back-up specialties would be largely mitigated
- The proportion of applicants matching at their genuinely preferred programs would, I think, increase greatly.
- Yield-protection practices would be largely eliminated in the first round
I'm sure it would create its own set of trickle-down problems, so am very curious to see how well it works for the OB/GYN match this year --
Although (so far) I favor an early round, I worry it won't be smooth sailing.
It is certainly true that top candidates whom might hoard interviews should match in the early round.
It is almost certainly true that
not getting a spot in the early round will be a horrible experience. We can all say it's no big deal, most of the spots will be in the full match, etc. But I bet people who don't match in the early round will be here panicking, and might over-apply to the main match.
This works best if the early round is done before the main round starts. That's critical if you want to save people application fees. That means the early round needs to happen July - Sept. I don't see that as a problem, but it is early enough that doing SubI's might be impossible.
If we allow 5 apps in the early round, there may be some programs that never look at later apps -- they only interview from the initial 5. I think that's what you mean by your second bullet point. Whether that's a feature or a bug depends on your perspective.
"Yield protection" would still be a thing in the first round. Evryone whom sends me an early app probably sent four other programs one also. They can only go to one program. I won't have infinite early interview slots -- I'm unlikely to be able to interview all of them. Hence, I'll need to decide whom I want to offer an early interview to. This means guessing how interested they really are. "Yield protection" would not be a thing in the main round for anyone whom applied in the early round and didn't get a spot -- they would likely be prioritized for an interview. But how will the applicants feel -- applying early, not getting an early interview, and then getting a main interview? Will they still be as excited? Or will they now be upset and less interested?
Still, I favor this, I think it might help.
I'm also coming around to the idea of a specialty app cap - a max number of applications for a specific specialty. If someone applies for two fields, they get the max in each. This would be really important for people applying to advanced and prelim spots. But it might also greatly increase the backup applications - if people are capped, they might decide to apply to a second field "just in case"