Step 1 low score vs pass/fail: which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddy1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! An IMG infront of a dilemma here. Currently in my dedicated period for Step 1. If one is about to get a low score (e.g. 200-210) in Step 1 is it better for the future residency application to give the exam or wait for it to transit into the pass/fail mode? Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. An FMG. Thank you for your response! Will try. But what if my NBME shows below 220 right before the exam?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
if you're scoring 200, take it as pass/no pass and focus on step 2 and 3. I don't see how FMGs will be able to match anymore without a step 2 and 3 on file

Reactions: 1 user
if you're scoring 200, take it as pass/no pass and focus on step 2 and 3. I don't see how FMGs will be able to match anymore without a step 2 and 3 on file
Is 200 on the NBME enough to be comfortable I don't fail? Do Do you mean the Step 3 is necessary now?

Is 200 on the NBME enough to be comfortable I don't fail? Do Do you mean the Step 3 is necessary now?
No, you could easily fail if you're scoring in the 200s. People easily score 10 points under projection. If I were you, I wouldn't take it until I'm scoring 220

There is no hard requirement to take step 3, but it might as well be a de facto requirement. I don't see how FMGs think they'll match if they only have 1 score

No, you could easily fail if you're scoring in the 200s. People easily score 10 points under projection. If I were you, I wouldn't take it until I'm scoring 220

There is no hard requirement to take step 3, but it might as well be a de facto requirement. I don't see how FMGs think they'll match if they only have 1 score
Yes, you are probably right about 220. Thank you for your comment!

I wouldn't trust the NBMEs as predictive for scoring purposes

The Reddit Excel predictor was fantastic for my class. Aside from that, UW2 was the closest for me and everyone I asked