Step 1 Overshadowing Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoxyOrDilli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
Long time reader first time poster here. I'm interested in straight o'l General surgery and I just got my step 2 CK back yesterday. I come from a generic state school, made a B on my surgery rotation, 229 Step 1, and a 253 Step 2. I have talked with some who say they personally care more about Step 2 than Step 1 when selecting residents. So I have a few brief questions and I appreciate your responses.

1.) Is it likely I will get screened out by a lot of programs because of a step 1<230?

2.) Do you think my application will be competitive in the current cycle? (I am hoping for more of a university setting than community program)

3.). How well do you need to do on Step 2 for it to sway things with a lower step 1? (Do most programs say Step1>Step2, or just the highest of the two scores?)

Again thank for your responses, I feel like it's a little bit of a bubble here and I appreciate some outside perspective

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation but haven't yet taken Step 2 (still Ms3). What advice do you have for how I can crush Step 2 and get a similar score to you? Thank you. Good luck, I really sincerely hope it works out.

I actually really liked the Master the boards Video series and UWorld. I went through each question and wrote out all relevant facts on paper, Uworld self assessment 1 week before was pretty predictive.

BUT: Not really meaning to discuss Step Prep here :p

Hoping for some insight into the 3 questions:
1.) Is it likely I will get screened out by a lot of programs because of a step 1<230?
2.) Do you think my application will be competitive in the current cycle? (I am hoping for more of a university setting than community program)
3.). How well do you need to do on Step 2 for it to sway things with a lower step 1? (Do most programs say Step1>Step2, or just the highest of the two scores?)

I actually really liked the Master the boards Video series and UWorld. I went through each question and wrote out all relevant facts on paper, Uworld self assessment 1 week before was pretty predictive.

BUT: Not really meaning to discuss Step Prep here :p

Hoping for some insight into the 3 questions:

Nobody knows, unfortunately it's all speculation so don't drive yourself crazy! Step 2 obviously helps but I am sure some places will screen you out for step 1. I think step 2 helps you if you aren't screened out and they see your improvement. Honestly though your step 1 isn't too bad... I would be more worried about the B in your clinical rotation.

Reactions: 1 user