Step 1 pass on second attempt - chances for anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice-steam

Reaction score
DO student here. Passed COMLEX 1... failed step 1, then passed on second attempt. What are my chances for anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Would depend largely on Step 2 scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very poor. Even before it got stupid competitive, a fail on step 1 was basically a death sentence for a DO. Maybe you can get in good with a former DO program, but in my anecdotal experience even they can get picky in this type of situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Your best shot might be to just not disclose NBME, do well on Level 2 and target the 12 former AOA anesthesia programs.

Reactions: 1 users
No shot at gas. Apply to a less competitive, more DO-friendly specialty. Don’t take Step 2, and submit COMLEX scores only.

Reactions: 1 user
You might consider a community program, but typically these aren't strong programs. Uni affiliates might not show any love, so, how bad do you want anesthesia ? I personally don't see any great options. Def need a backup. Poss a Preliminary or Transitional yr as backup? Diff specialty? It's a tough call. Step 2 and auditions could help turn things around if you can do better.

Don't apply with Step. I would do my best to do great on COMLEX 2 and then apply with a backup specialty

Reactions: 2 users
Damn, so they know If you failed?^^Yeah, if just applying with complex circumvents that, that could be a move. I would do some aways and get in good at those programs. You have anyone that can reach out on your behalf?