Step 1 Question and answer book for each subject

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SxRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just bought a set of Kaplan home study books. Now I need to solve problems after going through what I read in it.
I signed up for USMLE World (will use later....closer to the exam date). However, in the mean time, what Q and A books are good for board prep?

Microbiology-?
Pharmacology-Katzung Examination and board review
Pathology - ordered Robbins review of pathology Q/A book-heard it's good
Clinical neuroscience-?

Or, is it better to sign up with another Q bank and do the problems there? If this is advised how can you find problems that pertain to what you just covered in reference books like the Kaplan home study ones?

Oh, one more thing. Are the questions from Kaplan Q & A book and First aid Q & A books the same as their online Qbanks?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can either go with the Taus method and do more reading than questions at the beginning, or you could simply use the First Aid Q&A book. The questions aren't great but it does the job.

The books you listed have good targeted questions that are great practice following the chapters but they are only useful for the first half of your study schedule. Nothing beats random questions to get you ready for the step.

I too am looking for a good micro question source. What do you guys think about the PreTest series in terms of questions for subjects such as Pharm and Micro. The Katzung book is pretty sparse in terms of questions in my opinion.