Step 1 review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skidmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking step 1 this June and was wondering if the following books are good. Also, will the books listed below be enough for step 1 preparation or do I need to get more. I will have about 6 weeks of study time. I'm shooting for at least a 220 but no higher than 240. If you think a book below is worthless or if there is a better book please let me know.

First aid
BRS path
Brs phys
lippincott's biochem
pharm cards lippincott
high yield neuro

I will also be purchasing qbank.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I like Rapid Reviews for Path by Goljan better than BRS--it explains things more and has some diagrams (but no end of the chapter questions). I will probably end up looking at them both.

i've been told that first aid is good enough for pharm. i would also use lippincotts only as reference based on what i heard as well. i would also consider the behavioral science book from the high yield series.

you'd probably want some behavioral science and micro on that list. Unless you are really strong in those already. Otherwise looks like a good list. Add some more question and answer books to practice in addition to Qbank. Also check out http://www.gotmedbooks.com there are reviews of alot of the bigger books and that should help you decide for yourself based on the style you prefer.

Viper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a fine list. Lippincott's Biochemistry seems like overkill unless you just breeze through it. What you get out of First Aid, Qbank, and some other question sources (i.e., Appleton & Lange, Board Simulator Series, etc.) for biochemistry should be enough.

I have the Kaplan Notes set in the 3 big books format plus qbook plus simulated cd. They offer excelent review material that got me to get a 99 last July. However I promissed myself that I will not open them anymore... People on e bay ask like 350 for them. I want to get rid of them too, so let me know if anybody is interested. Just pm me with offers if you are interested. And trust me they are worth any money - you know them front and backwards - plus the qbank, simulated, and qbook - you don't need any other book and you'll get a top score...

Thanks guys,

Due to the previous comments I have added 2 items (in bold) to my preparation material.

First aid
BRS path
Brs phys
lippincott's biochem
pharm cards lippincott
high yield neuro
high-yield behavioral science
microbiology made rediculously simple.

Lippincott's biochem does seem a little overkill so I will only use it as a supplement to first aid.

Keep the comments coming.

In addition to qbank, any suggestions/recommendations for question sources or clinical vignettes?

I would agree that lippincott's biochem seems like an overkill - no argument from me there. I have just heard (have not taken the boards yet), that this is becoming a pretty important book to read for the boards. Apparently they are starting to concentrate more on biochem and molecular bio these days. \

My two cents,

Viper

Any good Pharmacology MCQ books - besides the Appelton and Lange question book? Thanks