Step 1 Score and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,it's common wisdom that many residency programs use a cut off for USMLE Step 1 score in determining who gets interviews and who doesn't. Thus, as long as your score is above the cut off, you are golden, and it doesn't matter much what your score is exactly. Correct?

My question: Does a good step 1 score (>250) help you in anyway beyond just getting you past the cut off stage? Or do all candidates with scores above the cutoff have the same chance to get into a given residency program, all things else equal? Has anyone heard of people getting in based primarily on a step 1 score?

-mrp

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 263 and couldn't even get an interview!

Seriously? What'd you apply for, and to how many programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think TT is being sarcastic. I am sure that getting a 263 and good grades would get you an interview at most top programs. Since 215 was an average score on a recent exam and 20 was the standard deviation. Anything above 255 is 2 SD above the mean. So that would put you in the top 3% of all USMLE step I test takers. :)

What's a perfect score? 280?

when is each step taken and what does each step test (sorry for my lack of knowledge...)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by gbv:
•when is each step taken and what does each step test (sorry for my lack of knowledge...)•••••Step 1 covers the Basic Medical Sciences and is generally taken between years 2 and 3 of medical school (many schools require passing it before allowing you to start clinical clerkships).

Step 2 tests knowledge of the Clinical Sciences and is generally taken sometime during the 4th year. Some schools require it only for graduation and some residency programs require it for application so it can be taken anytime during the final year depending on your needs.

Step 3 is usually taken after internship year and covers patient management in the basic clinical fields (IM, Peds, Ob-Gyn, Surg and Psych).