Family Medicine Practice NBME Vs. Actual Shelf Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PEMHopefully

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

For those of you who took the NBME Family Med subject exams, how well did they predict your actual FM Shelf score? I know the NBME FM tests are relatively new, so I wasn't sure how predictive they would be. I failed my first attempt by two points (I honestly hadn't prepared properly), then studied hard during IM and took the retake on Friday. My practice scores the day before were 72 on Form 1 and 81 on Form 2, but a couple of my classmates mentioned their Shelf scores being lower than their practice scores. I won't know how I did until Tuesday, and am currently worried sick that I might have failed again.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

For those of you who took the NBME Family Med subject exams, how well did they predict your actual FM Shelf score? I know the NBME FM tests are relatively new, so I wasn't sure how predictive they would be. I failed my first attempt by two points (I honestly hadn't prepared properly), then studied hard during IM and took the retake on Friday. My practice scores the day before were 72 on Form 1 and 81 on Form 2, but a couple of my classmates mentioned their Shelf scores being lower than their practice scores. I won't know how I did until Tuesday, and am currently worried sick that I might have failed again.

Thanks in advance!
The real one was harder and my score was lower than the practice exams. But if you studied IM hard, u might be better off

The real one was harder and my score was lower than the practice exams. But if you studied IM hard, u might be better off

How much did the practice tests overestimate if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in the mid 80s on one NBME and in the 90s on the other. I scored in the 90 something percentile on the shelf (I took it back in November, so I don't remember specifics). I felt the NBMEs were very indicative of the actual shelf. I did have IM before FM, so not sure how much of a difference that made.

How much did the practice tests overestimate if you don’t mind me asking?
The real was about 10 points lower than the NBMEs for me. My roommate had the same result, but my gf scored the same. It could just depend on the person. Im sure u did fine.