1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

step 1 scores

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jot, Jul 30, 2002.

1. jot

jot

hey - i don't know anything about step one scores, and i wanted to know if a 256 is a good score. just curious - this isn't mine (i'm only applying now).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

oh yeah - i hope this isn't like asking if a 45 is a good mcat score (don't know what the step 1's are out of - or means etc...). if it is ... ignore.

4. shag

shag Supreme Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Not a 45... More like a 43 :)

5. jot

jot

hah - so i guess i was right to congratulate my friend with no idea what the score meant -- thanks. i guess he will be able to match in medicine then, cool.

6. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so what's a perfect score...260?

7. Is 256 high enough for an Orthopedic residency?

8. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's hard to believe that you folks could get such good scores without understanding statistics. :D

Seriously, look at your score sheet. It gives a mean and a standard deviation. You should be able to use that to figure out how well you are compared to the rest of the pool. In terms of asking if a score is "good enough" for a given residency, remember that no score by itself will be enough. You can have a great score, but your LORs and interviews will make a big difference -- more so than for medical school.

Good Luck

Ed

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The OP isn't even a med student. They wouldn't have a score sheet with statistical information on it.

10. jot

jot

this is definately not my score - as none mentioned, i'm not even a med student. otherwise, from what i've gathered, that would be a rather obnoxious post:) thanks though
    -jot

11. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oops,

Sorry about that. I didn't read all the posts before I responsed. We see so many people with great scores and great insecurities around here looking for validation. Most don't realize that what they are doing makes others feel lousy.

My appologies,

Ed